a
t
i
r
mherrera mherrera
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I know that Steroid hormones can pass right through the membrane of the cell to carry on the message inside because it is lipophilic. However, what I don't understand is what happens right after it passes through the phospholipid layer? Does it go straight to the nucleus by penetrating through the nuclear membrane or does it stop at a receptor on the nuclear membrane?

Also, i Know that peptide/protein and amino acid derivative hormones and lipophobic and cannot pas through the membrane. So it the hormone needs to bind to the receptor on the surface of the membrane, causing a cascade of events like activating the G protein, cAMP and some crap like that. Can someone please explain in detail this process because I am having difficulting understanding this. Is this signal transduction?

If this isn't signal transduction, what is signal transduction? I'm so lost.
Does signal transduction occur in all cells? Does the signaling molecule always have to be a hormone or can it be a neurotransmitter?
Read 731 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
gaflyc90gaflyc90
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 280 words.