t
i
r
r
Tierra Pollard Tierra Pollard
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
In your opinion, what were the greatest cultural advances to emerge from the Hellenistic Age in Ancient Greece?
Read 44 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
There were so many advances made during the Hellenistic Age because of the vast amount of people and the knowledge they shared, and the decreased amount of fighting that gave them more time to focus on those things. Also, just the amount of encouragement of scholarship (as seen with the great research institute and library that was built in Alexandria).

Hellenistic civilization made advancements in many fields, this includes: philosophy, mathematics (especially geometry), astronomy, other areas of science like physics, and medicine (with the causes and cures of illnesses, and ethics).

Here's a report I wrote on it Smiling Face with Open Mouth
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
The report is good, but doesn't explain the greatest advancements. I'd narrow it down to their advancements in science/mathematics. Here's some things I found:

Science & Mathematics

Thinkers of the time were able to measure the Earth's circumference without the use of satellites, and were able to calculate the tilt of the Earth's axis. As you can tell, a lot was discovered about the universe, including accurately determining the distance from the Earth to the Sun and the invention of the the leap day.

In the field of medicine, they theorized that blood traveled through the veins. Using dissections of the human body and animal vivisection, people of that time were able to accurately describe the nervous system, liver and other key organs.

Lastly, technological developments from the Hellenistic period include cogged gears, pulleys, the screw, Archimedes' screw, the screw press, glassblowing, hollow bronze casting, surveying instruments, an odometer, the pantograph, the water clock, a water organ, and the Piston pump.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1396 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352