t
i
r
Cookies4Life Cookies4Life
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, Cookies4Life
Hey guys!I'm new here and I really need some help on this project I'm doing
I have to pick a species that is currently evolving, but then again the term evolving can mean many things.
I'm not exactly sure, at this point what my teacher specifically means by evolving.
My opinion on evolving, was that it was a term for change, a change of habit or change of physical attributes or allele that the species acquires or altered, because isn't evolution literally constantly happening?
Take people for example. When a child is just learning words, a new language, it is technically evolving because it is gaining attributes for itself that it didn't have before, that it will keep for the rest of its life. By technically, I mean just that one child will be evolving as person into who he/she will be in the future, a more individual look than a species wide look is what I'm saying, but can that still be argued for a valid evolution feat? Not saying that's what I'm going with (the child stuff), I made that up on the fly based on my opinion of evolution

Okay, now the main part I need help with is this:

Saiphos Equalis or otherwise known as yellow-bellied three toed skink, was recently discovered producing offspring via life birth.
It's posted nearly everywhere, national geographics, other science websites, etc.
Okay, however I refined my search and move a couple of valid sites that highlight the same exact thing back in 2000 and how saiphos equalis has notched the ability to the do both types of reproduction quite a while ago.
The thing that forces it to choose between live birth or egg, is the environment, cold or hot relatively for each one.
Now, being said that, I don't really have a valid argument for evolution of the saiphos equalis do I now?
When the saiphos equalis is reproducing, the new organism intakes most of it's calcium through the egg shell.
However, in live birth, the egg shell is thinned out, until it resembles a membrane.
This results in less calcium for the organism, and can result in bone deformations/smaller bone structure/more fragile bones compared to saiphos equalis in a more warmer region who use eggs as a way of reproducing.
THAT population of Saiphos equalis living in a cold region reproducing via live birth will have different characteristics in the long run compared to the population in the warmer area.
Also, because of the fact that the female is holding the organism longer inside of it, that means it needs to keep providing it food, and a way to eject the organism out without killing it because of the lack of a shell to protect it.
Because the organism is getting bigger, it will need more food than one in a female that is reproducing via egg (released sooner, therefore does not require as much nutrients), the blood vessels supplying the uterus with nutrients will increase in number. That is a piece of information (not word for word) that I picked up off a couple of websites after piecing it together.

Can this not be argued for as evolution?
The bone structure, density, size could be different from another group of saiphos equalis.
There will be more blood vessels leading to a uterus.
There are generally two separate population of seiphos equalis in Australia, one in the mountain reigons of NSW and one along the coast. The mountains are the more colder regions and the coast the warmer ones.

Basically, my opinion of what evolution is, is that it is change, but not just change in the alleles of an organism (what my teacher is implying I believe), but there are other things that can be considered evolution because evolution in it's simplest terms means change. Do you guys think I can make a valid argument for my opinion against my teacher on evolution?

Sorry, this is a little frantic, it is probably really messy and might not flow well from one sentence to another, but I really need help and I'm very sleepy right now Smiling Face with Open Mouth.
Read 996 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Take people for example. When a child is just learning words, a new language, it is technically evolving because it is gaining attributes for itself that it didn't have before, that it will keep for the rest of its life. By technically, I mean just that one child will be evolving as person into who he/she will be in the future, a more individual look than a species wide look is what I'm saying, but can that still be argued for a valid evolution feat? Not saying that's what I'm going with (the child stuff), I made that up on the fly based on my opinion of evolution

That does not suggest evolution. If you want to understand evolution, you have to look at the micro- and macro-level. Microevolution is when organisms evolve, but stay within the same species. When microevolution goes on for a long time, or two groups of the same species become separated, they can evolve and become a new species. This is macroevolution.

Basically, my opinion of what evolution is, is that it is change, but not just change in the alleles of an organism (what my teacher is implying I believe), but there are other things that can be considered evolution because evolution in it's simplest terms means change. Do you guys think I can make a valid argument for my opinion against my teacher on evolution?

I'm afraid you're wrong. Yes, evolution is nature's way of selecting who's fit to survive. In other words, who is fit to spread their seed. Superior alleles will most likely be passed on to the next generation. But what is superior in the eyes of nature can change. For example, if an ice-age were to occur suddenly - like tomorrow - people that are hairy will most likely be fit to survive in the northern parts of the globe. These select individuals would have the superior genetic configuration over those who don't produce any hair. If the ice-age lasts a long time, the hairy people will likely find a mate and reproduce, and spread this 'superior' hairy gene onto their offspring. When the ice-age ends, these hairy men and women will most likely die off due to heat exhaustion, and only less hairy individuals might survive - this is an example of microevolution by the way, sorry for going off on a tangent.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Cookies4Life Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, Cookies4Life

That does not suggest evolution. If you want to understand evolution, you have to look at the micro- and macro-level. Microevolution is when organisms evolve, but stay within the same species. When microevolution goes on for a long time, or two groups of the same species become separated, they can evolve and become a new species. This is macroevolution.

I'm afraid you're wrong. Yes, evolution is nature's way of selecting who's fit to survive. In other words, who is fit to spread their seed. Superior alleles will most likely be passed on to the next generation. But what is superior in the eyes of nature can change. For example, if an ice-age were to occur suddenly - like tomorrow - people that are hairy will most likely be fit to survive in the northern parts of the globe. These select individuals would have the superior genetic configuration over those who don't produce any hair. If the ice-age lasts a long time, the hairy people will likely find a mate and reproduce, and spread this 'superior' hairy gene onto their offspring. When the ice-age ends, these hairy men and women will most likely die off due to heat exhaustion, and only less hairy individuals might survive - this is an example of microevolution by the way, sorry for going off on a tangent.

Okay, i think i get where you're getting at.
But, is my information on the seiphos equalis valid?
What im thinking is, is that because of the lack of calcium at a younger age for the skink,
It can cause smaller bone structure if more brittle ones.
If this is occuring to every skink in the population (which it should since the population is enduring the same conditions), then when they mate their offspring (next, next generation) will be a byproduct of them and their altered bone density and size.
Is that not a valid argument for my project though?
Also, do you think if i explained this to my teacher, that i misunderstood the term of evolution with 'change', back it up with what i thought it meant, use what information i have on skinks that my teacher wouldn't fail me?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
If this is occuring to every skink in the population (which it should since the population is enduring the same conditions), then when they mate their offspring (next, next generation) will be a byproduct of them and their altered bone density and size. Is that not a valid argument for my project though?

Unfortunately, no. What happens to you right now, for example, doesn't get passed on to offspring *UNLESS a mutation occurred in machinery that produce the sperm or the eggs in a person*. So, let's pretend you're adapted to cold weather because you've lived in a cold area your whole life. In this case, you've conditioned yourself to stay warm, but your offspring won't automatically gain these traits. They might be born just as cold as the next person because they're not conditioned the same way as you are. Your ideas are similar to the famous scientist Lamarck, whose theories are widely disproved.

Tell your teacher that I didn't get a firm grip of evolution until I looked into what is meant by natural selection. If you submitted it already, let him know if you can change things around.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1275 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4