× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
buckminster93 buckminster93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I watched a video in which somebody writes out what he says is a proof for the statement that the sum of all natural numbers (1+2+3+4+...) is -1/12.

This is my first post, so I can't post a link. But the video is done on the Numberphile youtube channel. The title is "1+2+3+4+5"

The first part of the proof (1-1+1-1+1-1+... = 1/2) does not seem to be correct. I would think that there would simply be no answer when the value oscillates between 0 and 1. What do you think?

Also, wikipedia seems to recognize that the end result is a real thing, and the guy in the video shows a physics text book with the statement in it.

Anybody know what's going on? Thanks
Read 1065 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
HI What's the link?

I think you need a post to add links to your posts. Now that you have one, you can posts links.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
buckminster93 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Hey, this is the link to the video I was talking about.

thanks!
wrote...
10 years ago
Basically they use flawed mathematics to solve the first part (S) and then try to apply that to the rest of the sequences.  Wikipedia actually says "These are all legal manipulations for sums of convergent series, but 1 − 1 + 1 − 1 + · · · is not a convergent series."  You can look up videos on calculus and limits to explain convergence.  This is the kind of thing mathematicians do to amuse themselves, it's usually just an example of the fact their mathematical theories are flawed.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1304 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372