a
t
i
r
OrieCooper OrieCooper
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
   Florita Santos, middle-aged women, is admitted to the coronary care unit with a diagnosis to left ventricular failure resulting from myocardial infraction. Her history indicated that she was aroused in the middle of the night by sever chest pain. Her skin is pale and cold, and moist sounds are heard over the lower regions of both lungs. Explain how failure of the left ventricle can cause these signs and symptoms.

I can only guess that something happened to her left ventricle to cause her symptoms. I think it is due to complications internally to the valves for the heart is not pumping the way it should. Please help.
Read 1464 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago

i'm not in nursing or anything, but why are you guessing that something happened to her left ventricle when they told you that in the case lol.... considering how the left ventricle is responsible for supplying blood to the rest of her body, left ventricular failure will lead to decreased blood flow to the rest of her body which means hypoxia to these areas. less oxygen to the skin explains her pale/cold skin..

i'm going to go on a limb and guess her chest pain and "moist sounds" was caused by regurgitation of blood back into her lungs from the left side of her heart. if the left ventricle is unable to pump the blood to the rest of the body, blood will pool in the left side of her heart and cause a backflow into the lungs

again i'm not a nursing student, so i'll need someone to verify
wrote...
10 years ago
If the left left ventricle fails, fluid will build up in the lungs due to congestion of the veins in the lungs. This can also cause Pulmonary edema. The moist rales are closer to Rhonchus due to obstruction of air passage by the fluids. Basically she's drowning in her own fluid.  The heart is not able to push the blood back out & it's backing up into her lungs.
OrieCooper Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, OrieCooper
So sorry about the confusion I was very tired when I  put in my thoughts down for the end of the case. I know it mentions her condition in her case I am just trying to figure out how the heart attach came on. Was it due to poor health or there must have been a blockage of the arteries for the left ventricle to collapse I guess I am just over thinking this.
Post Merge: 10 years ago

So sorry about the confusion I was very tired when I  put in my thoughts down for the end of the case. I know it mentions her condition in her case I am just trying to figure out how the heart attach came on. Was it due to poor health or there must have been a blockage of the arteries for the left ventricle to collapse I guess I am just over thinking this.
  thanks everyone who helped.
wrote...
10 years ago

They only asked you to explain the reasons for her symptoms for a reason. they did not give you enough information to diagnose the cause... there are TONSSSSS of things that can cause an MI.... we'd need an ECG along with other tests in order to diagnose the cause of the MI..but according to the symptoms of this case, I doubt the MI was caused by a valve problem, although with left ventricular failure, she would definitely have problems with the mitral valve and the valve of the pulmonary vein (forgot what it's called) if blood was able to go back into the lungs, but the valve issues are caused by the failure, not the cause of the failure.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1266 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?