a
t
i
r
Teresita Teresita
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Plumage in ducks is determined to some extent by a series of multiple alleles named restricted (M
R = white on the wing fronts), mallard (M = wild type), and dusky (md = darker plumage). MR is dominant to M, which is dominant to md

(i) Can the mating between two mallard ducks produce any offspring with restricted plummage?
Explain.

(ii) A series of matings between two mallard ducks produced the following offspring: 34 mallard
and 11 dusky ducks. What are the likely genotypes of the two mallard parents?

(iii) Can a mating between two ducks with restricted plumage produce offspring with dusky
plumage? Explain using diagrams of appropriate matings.

Read 339 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
I) No, As Restricted is dominant over mallard u cant have mallard ducks with any restricted gene. or else they wont be mallard ducks!
ii) 11+34= 45 11/45 = ~1/4 Punnent square suggests that parents must be M,Md Genotype
| M |Md
M | MM |MMd
Md | MdM |MdMd<----- this is the onli one which is dusky so 1/4

iii)Yes, If you think about it and ii) it comes down to the same answer. We are looking for possibilities of the dusky from restricted but doesnt suggest any type of genotypes
so we can assume that the geno culd be MrMd , MrMr, MdMd yet only the first two are restricted ducks.
Using punnet square and multiple testing u realise that there is a possibility of getting dusky ducks
if you chose the parents geno's as MrMd.
|Mr | Md
Mr |MrMr | MrMd
Md |MdMr |MdMd Leftwards Arrow---- dusky duck right there!

So yes it is possible with two restricted ducks if at least one has the dusky gene. Remember you can't make something out of nothing, so if no dusky gene no dusky duck possible.
Source  http://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=44531.0
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1250 People Browsing
Related Images