a
t
i
r
norm2020 norm2020
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I understand that dry needling is particularly for treatment of myofascial trigger points, but from what I understand, acupuncture is as well.
Read 737 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
HI norm2020, thanks for your question. I almost missed it, because you placed it in the wrong category! Slight Smile According to a source I found online, here's what it stated:

• Acupuncturists utilize needles to correct the energy flow of the body or “chi”, chronic health and neurological conditions through the guidance of meridian lines, tongue and pule examination, and acupuncture points.
  • Dry needling addresses purely the dysfunction of the muscle through extensive palpation to identify the unhealthy muscle tissue.  So the only similarity is the use of needles, but the theory behind the treatments are very different.

Dry needling is an effective treatment for acute and chronic pain, rehabilitation from injury, and even pain and injury prevention, with very few side effects. Most common side effect is muscle soreness 1-2 days after treatment, which can be alleviated by drinking plenty of fluids and the application of heat. Besides the treatment of dry needling the practitioner will provide corrective exercises. These corrective exercises are specifically designed to provide a positive environment to allow for correction of the unhealthy muscle tissue habits. This technique is unequaled in finding and eliminating muscular dysfunction that leads to pain and functional deficits. Typically positive results are apparent within 2-4 treatment sessions, but also depend on the severity of the condition, overall health of the patient, and the experience level of the practitioner.

More on it in the attachment below.
 Attached file 
(158.42 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
norm2020 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you for the thorough response! I truly appreciate the information.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292