× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
sciencetriofosh sciencetriofosh
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
1. In sheep, white wool is dominant trait and black wool is a recessive trait. In a herd of 500 sheep, 20 sheep have black wool. In this herd what is the frequency of the heterozygous genotype?

2. Genetics estimate that 1 in 2500 caucasian newborns are affected with Cystic Fibrosis. The predicted frequency of the recessive allele for CF in the caucasian population is
A. 0.02
B. 0.04
C. 0.33
D. 0.25

i think its a
Read 1045 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, hairykiller
Assuming these are hardy weingburg problems:
1. It would be 32% because 20/500=0.04 which is the frequency of phenotype of recessive. You square root this number to get .2 or 20% for the allele of the recessive gene. This means that 80% of the allele frequency is dominant. Remember the equation to get heterozygous genotype is 2*p*q so (p being dominant and aqbeing recessive) so 2*.2*.8=.32 or 32%.

2. It is a. You are correct, square root of 1/2500=.02 which is a. Remember the formula. p is dominant allele. q is recessive allele frequency. p^2 is dominant genotype frequency. q^2 is recessive genotype frequency. 2*p*q= heterozygous genotype frequency. When solving a problem, always try to solve the recessive frequency because remember in genotype, dominant and heterozygous display the same traits so you can't tell which is which. Hope this helps!
Post Merge: 10 years ago

oops my bad, i meant to say phenotype for p^2, q^2, and 2pq and that in phenotype, dominant and heterozygous display same traits.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion