× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ela ela
wrote...
11 years ago
You want to make a bunch of DNA from a sample you have, but you only want a certain sequence from the DNA you've isolated. What do you do? Give any components involved in the process, in addition to stating what the process is.
Read 812 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You use PCR to amplify the regions you want.
You order restriction primers from a company (after designing them).
Once you have the primers you add the sample DNA, the 5' and 3' end primers, buffer, dNTPs, and polymerase.
You run the mixture in a thermocycler that repeatedly denatures, anneals, and extends the fragments of DNA.
Confirm the correct products through gel electrophorysis.
MB20 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I would first use PCR (polymearse chain reaction) to amplify/increase the number of DNA copies I have. When I had a sufficient amount of DNA I could do use a technique called Compliment VNTR. (I am going to give you steps to forensic applications which is used to match a certain DNA genome with the perps DNA.)

1.PCR- makes more DNA
2.Endonuclease- cuts up the DNA
3.Electrophoresis- Organizes DNA using charges (large to small)
4.Southern Blot- transfer smear of DNA to membrane filter
5.Hybridize membrane with hot probe (The hot prob is the radioactive sequence of the certain sequence you want which will be complementary to the ones in the large samples of DNA)
6.Audoradiography- Compares the complementary sequences.

I hope this is what you were looking for or at least gives you some help.
abcunome Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I would first amplify the DNA for sequencing using PCR.

Once the sample is amplified, the DNA would need to be purified and the concentration measured.

Then I would set up a sequencing reaction using dideoxynuceotides which had been fluorescently labelled.

The sequence is then cleaned and run on an automated sequencer to get the sequence.

Process straightforward - search cycle sequencing for more details.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1287 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?