t
i
r
DennisO DennisO
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hi all,

Today in class we discussed the function of the lymphatic system and its relation to the cardiovascular system. I would appreciate it if you could confirm some things that I believe I might know as well as elaborate on certain areas I am not positive about.

First, what I believe I know:

The lymphatic system and the cardiovascular system together make up the circulatory system. Lymph, the interstitial fluid that the lymphatic system seeks to remove from body tissue, is initially part of blood as plasma. When the diffusion of nutrients/gases/etc. occurs across the walls of capillaries, this "pre-lymph" travels with it, delivering the material to the body tissue. Yet once the materials are delivered, there is no reason for the lymph to remain in the body tissue. As a result, skeletal movement prompts the lymph to travel via lymph vessels back to the heart, being filtered by lymph nodes as it goes. Via the pumping of the heart, the lymph enters back into the bloodstream to serve "its purpose" as a transport medium once more.

Now, what I don't know:

Although the lymph vessels have valves, do they also have smooth muscle that pushes the lymph through? Or is it just skeletal movement that prompts the lymph to move through? What problems would arise if someone sat stationary for a number of hours? Would nutrient and oxygen diffusion slow down as the fluid needed to diffuse became increasingly absent?

Sorry for the poor wording - rushing to finish some history homework!

Thanks for your help!
Read 458 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
stupidqstudentstupidqstudent
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
Don't like my sarcasm ... I don't like your stupid.