d
c
a
r
tridigszx3 tridigszx3
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I'm currently taking calculus 2 and I am going to take diff. equations and linear algebra next semester. I'm curious if its going to be hard or not. If you have taken it before or currently are, please. Tell me your experience and what kind of effort did you put in it. Thank you for your input.
Read 261 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
With a solid calculus background, your course on differential equations will pose no problems. They are just an extension of the calculus courses you've taken.

Linear algebra theory and practice is easier than calculus, I find. However, algebra does require a lot of memorization, good arithmetic skills and attention to detail.
wrote...
10 years ago
I was enrolled in linear and diff eq at the same time. Dropped linear after a week because the teacher is notoriously bad. I thought people were over exaggerating but he was really that bad.

Anyways, my friend stayed in the class and was also taking diff eq with me. She got A's in both but is extremely intelligent.

Differential equations is pretty easy. At least I thought it was but i know plenty of people that were scraping by with c's. I got an A and didnt put in that much effort. I studied for exams and did a decent amount of homework. Like every other odd give or take depending on how well i understood the lesson or what i expected to see on an exam.

Took it along with with calc based physics electricity and magnetism, and computer science. Got a's in all of them. Just study for the exams, obviously give it more effort if you have a bit of a hassle. Depending on your schools emphasis on math you may want to make sure you understand proofs semi-well. They are not as crazy as linear algebra proofs. But our school's math classes are designed for math majors so there was a proof on every exam.

I took calc 3 before diff eq and we did not use any multivariable calculus stuff. Double integral popped up in proving convolutions but it was only in lecture.
Overall differential should be easy, combining it with linear is questionable. It depends on the rest of your course load. but its doable

Oh have you taken physics mechanics?
Our diff eq class loved to have harmonic oscilators, damped, undamped and forced harmonic oscilators.
We also went over RC circuits but only in one lesson
wrote...
10 years ago
It depends on what you're good at. If you're good at calculus, then differential equations wouldn't be too hard.

Can someone answer my question?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1383 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion