a
t
i
r
Kelly185891 Kelly185891
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
13 years ago
Suppose a salt and glucose solution are separated by a membrane that is permeable to water but not to solutes. The NaCl solution has a concentration of 1.95g per 250 mL (molecular weight=58.5). The glucose solution has a concentration of 9.0g per 250 mL (molecular weight=180). Calculate the molality, millimolality, and milliosmolality of both solutions. State whether osmosis will occur and if it will, which direction. Explain your answer.
Read 11638 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
I found this on another website:

Molality = moles of solute/kilogram of solvent.

Osmolality = osmoles of solute/kilogram of solvent. (An osmole is the number of moles that contribute an osmotic pressure.)

Also, milli is 10^-3

For the first solution, start by calculating the number of moles of NaCl in 1.95g.  n=m/M= 1.95g / 58.44g/mol = 0.033 mol.

0.033 mol per 250mL of water, is the same as 0.033 x 4 = 0.133 mol per litre of water.

So the molality is 0.133 M.

'milli' is 10^-3.  For example, a millimeter is 1/1000 (which is 10^-3) of a meter.  So the millimolality of the solution will be 133 mM.

Osmolality is slightly more complex.  It takes into account that a molecule may dissociate (split apart) in solution. 

For the first solution, the milliosmolality is simply the millimolality (133mM) multiplied by 2 (since NaCl dissociates into 2 ions in solution: Na+ and Cl-).

Glucose, however, does not dissociate, so in the case of solution 2 the millimolality and milliosmolality will be the same.
Joanne
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey Kelly,

I found an excellent resource for you that explains this topic to the bone. I attached it as a PDF file below. Take a read at it and follow it. You'll find your question (with some variation) in there.

Reply here if you need further assistance; it's been a long time since I've looked at this so I may need some review as well. I am a biology teacher so it somewhat relates to what I'm teaching.
 Attached file 
(107.91 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1241 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741