a
t
i
r
kirby1001 kirby1001
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
in Deep, cold lakes in the mountains are usually teeming with life whereas warm lakes in the lowlands have difficulty supporting life. How would the properties of water  account for this phenomenon.
Read 1382 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Cold high pressure fluids can diffuse more gasses. Like when a can of soda is opened and allowed to warm it cannot hold as much gas (CO2 in this case).

The ability to hold more gasses allows aerobic respiration which is much more efficient for larger life than anaerobic.
wrote...
9 years ago
The amount of biodiversity in water depends on the amount of oxygen gas dissolved in the water. Water can hold more gas at lower temperatures, so the cold, mountain lakes have more oxygen than the warm lakes, making them able to support more life. This property of water is also the reason coke goes flat if it gets warm, as well as the reason factories dumping warm water into rivers is so harmful.
wrote...
9 years ago
The colder water is the more oxygen can be dissolved in it and thus the more life that can be supported in it. Warm water can't hold much oxygen and therefore can't support as much life.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?