a
t
i
r
austinm1014 austinm1014
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
An insect species is discovered in which the heterogametic sex is unknown. An X-linked recessive mutation for reduced wing (rw) is discovered.

I just don't understand how the phenotypes match and how they cover each other up
Read 2951 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Heterogametic sex refers to the sex of a species in which the sex chromosomes are not the same. For example, in humans, males, with an X and a Y sex chromosome, would be referred to as the heterogametic sex, and females having two X sex chromosomes would be referred to as the homogametic sex.

However, in birds, and some reptiles, males have two Z sex chromosomes and so are the homogametic sex, while females, with one Z and one W chromosome, are the heterogametic sex. Among the insects, Lepidopterans (butterflies and moths) have heterogametic females, but in Drosophila, males are the heterogametic sex.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
If the female is the heterogamete, then she is the XY sex; for reduced wings, she is rw/-. If she mates with a male who is RW/RW, then the F1 progeny (either XX or XY, the second letter in each pair from the female) will be RW/rw (a male) or RW/- (a female). For F2, the RW/- females will give only normal progeny; the RW/rw males will give RW/RW males, RW/rw males, and rw/- females.

I'm too tired to do the reverse (for the heterogametic male), but you can use the same approach.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  986 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79