Top Posters
Since Sunday
vcunningham22 vcunningham22
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Heres the question typed out. I've attached the screenshot of the question with the structure of the compound. Could you also let me know how you came to the answer? Thank you so much!

An oligomeric protein has a molecular weight of 475000. A 780 mg sample was treated with an excess of 1-fluoro-2,4-dinitrobenzene (Sanger\'s reagent) until the reaction was complete. Next the peptide bonds were hydrolyzed by heating with concentrated HCl. The product of the complete hydrolysis contained 2.5 mg of the compound shown below, and no other 2,4-dinitrophenyl derivatives of the α-amino groups of other amino acids could be found.
   How many polypeptide chains are in this protein? (Enter your answer as a whole number).

-Here is a hint that was given: The dinitrophenyl derivative identifies the end groups of each polypeptide chain. Start by calculating the number of moles of protein in the sample. Then calculate the number of moles of endgroup obtained.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 4674 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
padrepadre
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.
henry123,  Ziko,  bombatechnical,  mm5319,  genets,  Evergreen Sitecom Scenes
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile