t
S
m
s
karagolian karagolian
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
An oligomeric protein has a molecular weight of 415000. A 740 mg sample was treated with an excess of 1-fluoro-2,4-dinitrobenzene (Sanger\'s reagent) until the reaction was complete. Next the peptide bonds were hydrolyzed by heating with concentrated HCl. The product of the complete hydrolysis contained 1.8 mg of the compound shown below, and no other 2,4-dinitrophenyl derivatives of the alpha-amino groups of other amino acids could be found
How many polypeptide chains are in this protein? (Enter your answer as a whole number).
Read 7880 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Calculate the mw of the protein that was provided. From there, you divide 1.8 so it will 1.8/mw of protein...then you divide 740mg/415000mmol= 0.0018...then you divide again the values that you got from your protein and enter the answer as a whole #. for example: you calculated 3.4 for your final answer you will only have to put 3.
nshah44,  glycine,  monkey763,  Nicole Foulkrod
karagolian Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I saw this all over the Internet, I don't understand it. Would appreciate if you solve it with the numbers given. Thanks.
Answer accepted by topic starter
hooglandmhooglandm
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
jokaynordy,  bio_man,  show11