Top Posters
Since Sunday
wjddmlrb1 wjddmlrb1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
i am totally lost now i missed one class and i do not know what to do with this

1.   A high diver jumps off a 10 m diving board with an upward initial velocity of 2 m/s.  His initial acceleration is 9.8 m/s2 down.  Once he hits the water he has a constant upward acceleration of 20 m/s2.  
•   Draw a picture.
•   Draw velocity and acceleration graphs for this situation from just after he leaves the board to when he reaches his lowest position in the pool.  
•   Clearly indicate on the graphs when he is speeding up and when he is slowing down.
•   Clearly label all interesting time points (when he reaches the top of his path (hint: what is his velocity at the turnaround point), when he hits the water, when he is at his lowest point).  
•   You do not need to make a position graph but you do need to find his highest point after leaving the board and lowest position (how far into the water he traveled before stopping).
•    Clearly show all of your work.
If you are having trouble quantitatively labeling your graphs remember to take the area underneath/slope of velocity/position graphs.  So, if you are stuck just start writing that and figure out your knowns and unknowns.  You might get to a point where you have equations with more than one unknown.  Remember your algebra, if you have two unknowns you need two equations.

Read 423 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Let's start finding how high he jumped:
He started having a velocity of u0=2m/s. The acceleration of the gravity (g=9,8m/s2) slowed him down.
The time that his velocity became 0 (reached the highest point- point B) is:
u0-gtA->B=0 <=> 2-9,8*tA->B=0 <=> 9,8*tA->B=2 <=> tA->B=2/9,8 or about 0,2sec.

The distance he traveled upwards is: x1=u*tA->B-(1/2)atA->B2= 2*0,2 - (1/2)*9,8*(2/9,8)2 = 0,4 - 2/9,8 = 0,4 - 0,2 = 0,2m (it's rounded)

The swimmer now is 10,2 m above the water, and starts heading down.
He is accelerating  at 9,8m/s starting with velocity=0. So:

Lets name tB->C the time needed to reach from point B to point C.

(x1+x2)=(1/2)g(tB->C)2 <=> 10,2 = (1/2)*9,8*(tB->C)2 <=>
tB->C2=2*10,2/9,8 <=>tB->C2=2.08 <=> tB->C=1.44sec (rounded)

Now, to find the velocity at point C:
uC=g*tB->C=9,8*1,44=14,11m/s (rounded)

Now,the swimmer is starting to accelerate upwards (slowing down because of the water) until he stops at point D.
the acceleration is 20m/s2. So, the time needed for him to stop is: uD=uC-a*tC->D <=> 0=14,11-20*tC->D <=>14,11=20*tC->D <=> tC->D=0,71sec (rounded)

And, the distance traveled: x3= uC*tC->D-(1/2)*a*tC->D2 = 14,11*0,71 - (1/2)*20*(0,71)2 = 10,02 - 10*0,5 = 5,02m

So far:
x1=0,2m x2=10m, x3=5,02m
uB=0 (at point B) uC=14,11m/s uD=0

At point B t=tA->B=0,2sec
At point C t= tA->B+tB->C=0,2+1,44=1,64sec
At point D t= tA->B+tB->C+tC->D=0,2+1,44+0,71=2,35sec

That proved quite lengthy... I hope that makes sense till now.. I'll now create and upload the graphs
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Nice picture! Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Answer accepted by topic starter
AlexxAlexx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.