a
t
i
r
beauknows beauknows
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey guys, quick question:

If reactions that favour an increase in free energy occur throughout our lives, then how can the first law of Thermodynamics hold true?

Thanks so much in advance, much appreciated Smiling Face with Open Mouth!

- Beau
Read 2704 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
There is always an energy gain and energy loss for any particular system, but the net gain and the net loss in the universe is none existent, for that every gain by a system occurs at the expense of another system.
If we were to say that reactions that favor an increase in free energy occurs mostly in our body, this is done simultaneously by reactions that favor a decrease in free energy for an animal or plant we're eating.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
There is always an energy gain and energy loss for any particular system, but the net gain and the net loss in the universe is none existent, for that every gain by a system occurs at the expense of another system.
If we were to say that reactions that favor an increase in free energy occurs mostly in our body, this is done simultaneously by reactions that favor a decrease in free energy for an animal or plant we're eating.

I couldn't have said it any better Slight Smile
beauknows Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Karim89, I think I love you Face with Stuck-out Tongue!

I totally get it now, thanks so much!

Star, thanks for looking into the topic Slight Smile!

- Beau!
wrote...
13 years ago
thank you star, and beauknows you're welcome  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1361 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741