a
t
i
r
linabdtb2 linabdtb2
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
12 years ago
A 68 year old African-American male is transported to the ER with rapid onset left sided weakness. He was watering his lawn when he suddenly dropped the hose and fell to the ground. His speech was slurred when EMS personnel arrived. The man has a history of high blood pressure and hypercholesterolemia. His exam shows left facial areflexia and drooping. CT scan of the head shows no hemorrhage.
Read 3682 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
All you've provided is a description, what is the question?
linabdtb2 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
It asks for the following:

1. What is the diagnosis?

2. What is the likely location of the pathology in this instance?

3. What are the risk factors for this condition?

4. What are the possible mechanisms of the pathology in this case?

5. Which is the more likely mechanism of the pathology in this case?

6. What is the underlying problem in this case?

7. How did the underlying problem lead to this incident?

I was thinking a stroke or Bells palsy but I am not sure or ITV
linabdtb2 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Not TIV but TIA
linabdtb2 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I am going with an Ischemic Stroke, I got 1, 3, 6 and 7 of the questions. I am unsure of 2, 4 and 5
linabdtb2 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
1.  What is the diagnosis?  Ischemic Stroke
   2.  What is the likely location of the pathology in this instance? In his brain, it could be in his brain stem or his left hemisphere because both controls speech. It is a little tricky because he has left side weakness and this would be controlled by his right hemisphere.
   3.  What are the risk factors for this condition? Hypercholesterolemia, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, diabetes, family history of stroke, increasing age (especially above 55), and race (black people are more likely to die of stroke).
4.  What are the possible mechanisms of pathology in this case? Thrombotic stroke and embolic stroke
5.  Which is the more likely mechanism of the pathology in this case? Thrombotic stroke
6.  What is the underlying problem in this case? Hypercholesterolemia and high blood pressure
7.  How did the underlying problem lead to this incident? The high cholesterol can build up in an artery and cause a blockage in the artery. High Blood pressure/hypertension can lead to the thickening of the arterial walls/narrowing the passageway

WOULD THESE BE A GOOD ANSWER FOR EACH?
wrote...
12 years ago
it is an Ischemic Stroke
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1271 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586