a
t
i
r
JCat JCat
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
After explaining what sines and cosines are, a high school math teacher shows students how they might use these concepts in constructing a large building. Which one of the following principles does this scenario best illustrate?

a. Over time, self-talk gradually evolves into inner speech.
  b. Thought and language become increasingly interdependent with age.
  c. Acquiring the cognitive tools of one's culture enables youngsters to live and work more effectively.
  d. Children function more effectively when they work at their actual (rather than potential) developmental levels.

Ques. 2

Which one of the following reflects class inclusion as Piaget described it?

a. Getting cows and horses confused
  b. Realizing that things that are cars are also vehicles
  c. Identifying a shape as a square one day but as a triangle the next
  d. Understanding that some behaviors that are perfectly acceptable at home are unacceptable at school

Ques. 3

Piaget's ideas were largely ignored by American psychologists until the 1960s. Three of the following are probable reasons why this was so. Which one is not a likely reason?

a. Piaget studied children rather than nonhuman species.
  b. Piaget's ideas were incompatible with behaviorist theory.
  c. Most of Piaget's writings were in French.
  d. Piaget used research methods that were unconventional in the eyes of American psychologists.

Ques. 4

Roger is shown two piles of sand and says that each pile has the same amount. However, when one pile is flattened with a shovel, he now claims emphatically, The flat pile has less sand. Based on this information, Roger is probably in Piaget's _______ stage of development.

a. preoperational
  b. concrete operations
  c. formal operations
  d. sensorimotor

Ques. 5

Three of the following are potential disadvantages of a cooperative learning activity. Which one has not been identified as a disadvantage?

a. Students generally have lower self-efficacy when they study with peers rather than alone.
  b. Students may learn incorrect information from other group members.
  c. Students who do more work may harbor negative feelings about students who do less work.
  d. Students may be more interested in completing the task quickly than in helping one another learn.

Ques. 6

David is trying to calculate the total cost of the groceries in his grocery cart. He has four apples for 35 each, five potatoes for 15 each, and three cake mixes for 2.25 each. He begins by thinking to himself, Let's see, four times 35 is what? Two times 35 is 70, and then two times 70 is 1.40 . And then what do I do next? Oh, yes, I need to know what 5 times 15 equals. I can't remember, but let's see if I can figure it out.... From an information processing perspective, David may have difficulty solving the problem because:

a. He is using an inappropriate heuristic.
  b. His working memory capacity may be insufficient to hold and process all the information.
  c. He is encoding the problem incorrectly.
  d. He is demonstrating functional fixedness with regard to his knowledge of multiplication facts.

Ques. 7

Research indicates that people are more likely to be successful problem solvers in a given subject area when they:

a. pay considerable attention to details
  b. know the subject matter very well
  c. have had extensive training in logical thinking
  d. have already acquired problem-solving expertise in a very different subject area
Read 35 times
2 Replies