s
a
t
i
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following articles, I would like to know on how increasing atmospheric pressure affects on blood pressure, rising atmospheric = rising / falling blood pressure?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

These individuals spend long periods of time in space, without gravity, and the pressure exerted by the atmosphere. The greater the length of time spent outside of the Earth's atmosphere, the more likely that the astronaut will experience fainting episodes upon their return to Earth. It is theorized that the increased atmosphere puts a higher demand on the heart and it cannot keep up, which makes the blood pressure lower, which results in fainting. Further studies and reviews are still necessary to fully understand this phenomenon.

Changes in weather, which cause changes in atmospheric pressure, can be reflected in blood pressure fluctuations. According to a study published in the Journal of Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy in 2001, changes in air pressure do result in changes in blood pressure. This study, titled: "Close Association Between Day-to-day Fluctuation of Atmospheric Pressure and Blood Pressure", studied over 400 individuals, concluding that there was a correlation between the fluctuations of the atmospheric pressure, and blood pressure readings on a day-to-day basis.

https://healthfully.com/atmospheric-pressure-affect-blood-pressure-5402542.html
Read 473 times
16 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
Here's how barometric pressure and blood pressure are associated. Your heart has to overcome the total amount of resistance it takes to push your blood from the center of your body, to all of your extremities. That's called vascular resistance, and it's what blood pressure overcomes.

Barometric pressure is the atmospheric pressure that forces air into your lungs and compresses your body. That's why a human in space would have the air sucked out of them - there's no pressure whatsoever to keep air in your lungs. All the air out be vacuumed out (high concentration to low concentration affect). Alternatively, when you go underwater, for every 33 feet you dive you're being squeezed by an additional atmosphere of pressure.

If you need a visual of just how powerful increased barometric pressure (HYPERbaric pressure) can be, just watch this Mythbusters clip:

Watch how they remove the air pressure in a diving suit, several hundred feet deep in the sea!

When barometric pressure increases, your blood pressure increases with it. And long-term exposure to higher barometric pressure can elevate your blood pressure dangerously, and cause your heart to fail because it will rely on the barometric pressure to do its work.

Feel free to look up hyperoxia and hyperbaric pressure on Google.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
When barometric pressure increases, your blood pressure increases with it.

For increasing barometric pressure, do blood pressure increase because of compressed blood vessels? would it be correct?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
Yes, high barometric pressure constricts blood vessels, which hinders blood flow, while low pressure expands blood vessels, making it more difficult for the heart to pump blood.

When it rises to 30.3 inHg or higher, or drops to 29.7 or lower, the risk of heart attack increases.
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
If I drink red wine,  when should I avoid drinking red wine?

1) Not to drink red wine during high barometric pressure period?
2) Not to drink red wine during low barometric pressure period?
3) Not to drink red wine during both high and low barometric pressure period?
4) No problem at all, Drink red wine anytime you like.

wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
Depends, does wine reduce or increase blood pressure? I forgot Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes IF wine reduces blood pressure, then it'll contribute to reduced blood flow; on those day's, you'd want higher barometric pressure to balance the effect.
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
For increasing barometric pressure, it seems that No problem at all, Drink red wine anytime you like. would it be correct?

Furthermore for decreasing barometric pressure, no problem at all, would it also be correct?

Prevent Blood Clots

An added benefit of drinking red wine is that it may reduce blood clots, states the American Heart Association. Blood clots form when platelets clump together in the blood. Excessive blood-clot formation in the arteries can worsen plaques and increase blood pressure. Resveratrol is a polyphenol found in red wine that may have anti-clotting properties, thus reducing your risk for developing a blood clot and leading to a positive effect on blood pressure.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/334541-what-are-the-benefits-of-red-wine-high-blood-pressure/
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
I wanted to say that, but I gave the more scientific response. I don't think it matters, live your life Wink Face

I've read about resveratrol. It has many benefits, including the ability to prevent acne. You can get the same effect eating grapes.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
https://biology-forums.com/index.php?article=989

My blog on it
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
On last few day, there is a low barometric pressure on my location, I think my blood vessel expands causing headache, but I drink red wine, and would like to confirm on whether it is safe to drink red wine during this period or not.

wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
The opposite is true, no?

Headaches are caused by constricted blood vessels.

Being open-minded about it, I don't think atmospheric pressure has that affect on a healthy individual.

By the way, I get headaches whenever I drink wine regardless of the atmospheric pressure.

- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
I get headaches whenever I drink wine regardless of the atmospheric pressure.

I get headache before drinking red wine, so I cannot confirm on whether low barometric pressure cause headache, but if I get headache, I would like to confirm on whether it is safe to drink red wine during headache or not.

Furthermore, In your case, you drink wine before getting headache, which could be caused by dehydration.

wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
I get light-headed after 1 glass, then it becomes a headache shortly after. Could be dehydration but that's something I'm more likely to experience as a result of a hangover the next day. Wine just reacts strangely with my body.

But in your case, I'd recommend not drinking any alcoholic beverage when you're having a headache. Rest and water are the only cure.
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
while low pressure expands blood vessels, making it more difficult for the heart to pump blood.

When it rises to 30.3 inHg or higher, or drops to 29.7 or lower, the risk of heart attack increases.

I would like to know on why low barometric pressure (expanding blood vessels) also get the risk of heart attack as well.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1310 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion