a
t
i
r
farhan ali farhan ali
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
You wish to determine the levels of class I–restricted T cells in an HIV-infected individual that are specific for a peptide that is generated from gp120, a component of the virus. Assume that you know the HLA type of the subject. What method would you use and how would you perform the analysis? Please be as specific as you can. 
Source  Kuby Immunology 6th edition: CHapter 14, Question#10
Read 100 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
3 years ago
You wish to determine the levels of class I–restricted T cells in an HIV-infected individual that are specific for a peptide that is generated from gp120, a component of the virus.

They want us to outline how we can determine the level of class I-restricted T cells given that we know the HLA type.

It's important to note that precision HLA typing is important because it allows us to match the amino acid sequence of the gp120 antigen to that of the T cell receptor. This is why if you know the HLA type of your Antigen-presenting cell, you can potentially find T cells matched to this HLA. It's been a while since I did this but when the t-cells interact with the infected cell presenting the gp120 protein on its surface via a class-1 MHC, does the T-cell produce anything in turn? Based on the video below, the infected antigen presenting cell produces interleukin 1, could you use that as a measurement? Interleukin one stimulates the t-cell to produce interleukin 2, could you use that as a measurement? Interleukin 2 stimulates cytotoxic T cells and B cells, could that be measured? I know they produce cytokines and perforins...

Please watch the following videos:

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1226 People Browsing
Related Images