s
a
t
i
r
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Yes, he's right. So the three ways chemicals seep into the bloodstream is either intracellular, intercellular, and transappendageal. Intracellular is when chemicals penetrate the skin by passing directly through cells via permeation, or in-between cells (intercellular), or by passing through the hair follicles or sweat ducts - that's transappendageal. If a chemical successfully passes through the upper layers of skin, it has the chance to be absorbed by the bloodstream or lymphatic system. That's when it becomes a concern. Whether or not the chemicals in the glue are capable in doing this is difficult to say. Perhaps the chemicals stickiness, viscosity, or even molecular weight, makes it less likely to happen. This I'm uncertain of Confounded Face

Can glycerin do that? Is there any way to tell if a chemical can get into the blood? (other than studies)

I looked into the copolymers a bit, and found that a lot of suncreams also contain both glycerin and "acrylates copolymer". It's probably a low concentration of copolymer though, idk how much is in stuff like suncream, as it's a main ingredient in these glues I think isn't it?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Any chemical placed long enough on the skin will soften it up, and eventually allow entry - remember the nicotine patch example. I'm not sure how hair adhesive works, but let's assume it's like super glue for the sake of simplicity. Super glue dries very quickly, it doesn't remain in its liquid form for long. After it dries, what is left is the adhesive residue that sits on the surface. Whether or not that seeps into the skin is difficult to tell. Everyone sweats, everyone has changes in body temperature, so it's possible that the conditions will lead to some entry point discussed earlier.

I looked into the copolymers a bit, and found that a lot of suncreams also contain both glycerin and "acrylates copolymer".

I can see that, glycerin is used to make to make a substance sticky and spreadable.
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Any chemical placed long enough on the skin will soften it up, and eventually allow entry - remember the nicotine patch example. I'm not sure how hair adhesive works, but let's assume it's like super glue for the sake of simplicity. Super glue dries very quickly, it doesn't remain in its liquid form for long. After it dries, what is left is the adhesive residue that sits on the surface. Whether or not that seeps into the skin is difficult to tell. Everyone sweats, everyone has changes in body temperature, so it's possible that the conditions will lead to some entry point discussed earlier.
I looked into the copolymers a bit, and found that a lot of suncreams also contain both glycerin and "acrylates copolymer".
I can see that, glycerin is used to make to make a substance sticky and spreadable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6101675/

Studies like that talk about the effects of things building up in fat, like higher blood pressure or cholesterol. Is that something that could be tested for? i.e. if you used this glue for a few years, and then got a blood test, would that show if it was causing any harm, or could it take longer to do damage even if you stopped using it?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
They wouldn't be able to pinpoint it to any specific chemical. High cholesterol is caused many by poor dieting and genetics, so they'd simply tell you to start making better food choices. High blood pressure is also related to poor dieting, age, and genetics.
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
They wouldn't be able to pinpoint it to any specific chemical. High cholesterol is caused many by poor dieting and genetics, so they'd simply tell you to start making better food choices. High blood pressure is also related to poor dieting, age, and genetics.

If you did have it because of toxins being stored in fat, would there be any way to get rid of it?

Plus how quickly would it be likely to show, assuming you are completely healthy in every other way. If you used the glue or something for 2 years and took a blood test, is it possible that it doesn't show up, but does then show up 3 years later even if you stop using it? (i.e. can the effect be delayed significantly)?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
If you did have it because of toxins being stored in fat, would there be any way to get rid of it?

But it'd be so hard to tell - if not, impossible. There are only a handful of toxins whose symptoms we're familiar, i.e. mercury, lead poisoning.

Toxins stored in fat tissue slowly damage the bloodstream by inhibiting enzymes from working correctly - enzymes are the pillar of countless bodily functions. Toxins may also directly damage the DNA of cells (and that could lead to cancer if the concentration is higher enough). Again, you're not eating this stuff, so the concentration that seeps in likely will not cause any of these things.
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
But it'd be so hard to tell - if not, impossible. There are only a handful of toxins whose symptoms we're familiar, i.e. mercury, lead poisoning. Toxins stored in fat tissue slowly damage the bloodstream by inhibiting enzymes from working correctly - enzymes are the pillar of countless bodily functions. Toxins may also directly damage the DNA of cells (and that could lead to cancer if the concentration is higher enough). Again, you're not eating this stuff, so the concentration that seeps in likely will not cause any of these things.

What do you mean by damage the bloodstream, like they kill blood cells?

Would there be any way to tell whether a particular chemical could damage DNA? 

In terms of concentration, is that cumulative over time as it can't actually get out of the fat cells?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago

Absolutely. For example, some toxins actually bind to hemoglobin, thereby preventing the protein from being able to pick up oxygen -- in fact, carbon monoxide does that. Other toxins may pass the blood-brain barrier, and in turn, impact neuronal functions.

Dying of poison really sucks -- either it happens quickly, or it takes it toll for several years and can't be reversed.

Usually, DNA damage results into cancer. Any damage to the genes that control the cell cycle can be fatal. Remember, cells beget cells, so if an important gene is damaged, that'll get passed on to all subsequent generations.

In terms of concentration, is that cumulative over time as it can't actually get out of the fat cells?

As more toxins accumulate, the concentration increases as well within the host.

What are your thoughts so far? Have I persuaded you to use it or discouraged you?
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Absolutely. For example, some toxins actually bind to hemoglobin, thereby preventing the protein from being able to pick up oxygen -- in fact, carbon monoxide does that. Other toxins may pass the blood-brain barrier, and in turn, impact neuronal functions. Dying of poison really sucks -- either it happens quickly, or it takes it toll for several years and can't be reversed.

In some of the studies I found about methyl Methacryalate, it said it was "£rapidly absorbed when ingested", I assume that means into the blood stream. The study about it killing cells wasn't in an organism, it was an in vitro study. SO maybe that doesn't happen as much in organsims.
Usually, DNA damage results into cancer. Any damage to the genes that control the cell cycle can be fatal. Remember, cells beget cells, so if an important gene is damaged, that'll get passed on to all subsequent generations.

What kind of cancer would it be likely to cause? Would it depend where it was absorbed, so if it was in liver fat it would be a form of liver cancer etc?
As more toxins accumulate, the concentration increases as well within the host.

Is there any way to remove this from the fat cells? I have read about stuff online that is supposedly for "de toxifying" the body, but I'm often sceptical to trust it as a lot of the websites just look like they are trying to sell my something lol

What are your thoughts so far? Have I persuaded you to use it or discouraged you?

Thanks for all of your help, I think I would definelty feel safe using it for a few years, I'm just not sure about how long it would be advisable to use it for. TBH I feel like I might only feel the need to "hide" something like baldness when I am in my 20s, as it's not so much about how I look, rather just that I want to "blend in" to an extent, as I'm not very confident lol.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
What kind of cancer would it be likely to cause? Would it depend where it was absorbed, so if it was in liver fat it would be a form of liver cancer etc?

Cancers normally spread, so the location would be hard to determine once it starts happening. Most liver cancers are caused by viruses, such as hepatitis viruses. Maybe it'd lead to a blood cancer, such as leukemia or Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Who knows? Most likely none of that will happen, it's just glue Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

Is there any way to remove this from the fat cells? I have read about stuff online that is supposedly for "de toxifying" the body, but I'm often sceptical to trust it as a lot of the websites just look like they are trying to sell my something lol

No such thing as detoxifying your body of toxins, don't buy into it.

Thanks for all of your help, I think I would definelty feel safe using it for a few years, I'm just not sure about how long it would be advisable to use it for. TBH I feel like I might only feel the need to "hide" something like baldness when I am in my 20s, as it's not so much about how I look, rather just that I want to "blend in" to an extent, as I'm not very confident lol.

No sense in hiding it with a hair piece. I don't want to call it this, but it's like 'living a lie' having to wear it everywhere you go. It's hard to maintain a lifestyle like that, eventually it'll catch up to you. If you or anyone I knew wore a headpiece to impress me, only to find out later that they're bald, I'd feel pity for that person.

Men, unlike women, are not valued for their beauty, they're valued for their resources. You see women 'living a lie' all the time, with hair extensions, high heels, makeup, etc., because instinctually they want to appear beautiful to attract a male. Of course they won't tell you that, or even admit to it, but that's what it's truly all about. Men cherish women for their beauty. Women don't select men based on their appearance; they want someone who's successful and resourceful.
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Cancers normally spread, so the location would be hard to determine once it starts happening. Most liver cancers are caused by viruses, such as hepatitis viruses. Maybe it'd lead to a blood cancer, such as leukemia or Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Who knows? Most likely none of that will happen, it's just glue Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

I always think of stuff like this in terms of risk. And with cancer there are a lot of different types. Something that increase your likelihood for "cancer" in general by 100%, is a lot worse than something that increases your likelihood for a specific cancer by 500%, as that specific cancer is more rare than just the chance of getting any cancer. (i.e. double 20% is 40%, but quintuple 2% is only 10%, so the 2% becomes 10% and you get 28% risk).

Are there a lot of other sources of these toxins that increase cancer risk? As it would bother me less if I knew this was already happening with like 5 other things I use/ate. That might be weird but it's kindof the theory that a small increase to an existing risk is less scary than a totally new risk.

No such thing as detoxifying your body of toxins, don't buy into it.

Does this stuff just stay in fat until you die then? If you have less fat, does that mean the concentration would be higher, or does ti just mean less would be absorbed?

No sense in hiding it with a hair piece. I don't want to call it this, but it's like 'living a lie' having to wear it everywhere you go. It's hard to maintain a lifestyle like that, eventually it'll catch up to you. If you or anyone I knew wore a headpiece to impress me, only to find out later that they're bald, I'd feel pity for that person. Men, unlike women, are not valued for their beauty, they're valued for their resources. You see women 'living a lie' all the time, with hair extensions, high heels, makeup, etc., because instinctually they want to appear beautiful to attract a male. Of course they won't tell you that, or even admit to it, but that's what it's truly all about. Men cherish women for their beauty. Women don't select men based on their appearance; they want someone who's successful and resourceful.

Yeah I know what you mean. I think a lot of the modern ones are almost undetectable, although from what I've heard the maintenance is a bit of a pain, but tbh for me it wouldn't really be about making myself attractive (I'm pretty (a bit below) average anyway tbh), it's more about general confidence. If I had something about me that made me stand out it would bother me. Which is why I wouldn't really mind going bald at 35 or 40, as that wouldn't be that abnormal, but a bald 20 year old stands out a lot.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Does this stuff just stay in fat until you die then? If you have less fat, does that mean the concentration would be higher, or does ti just mean less would be absorbed?

They stay for a long period of time, but I believe they're discharged into the bloodstream during weight loss. Look up "persistent organic pollutants", should give you an idea of what could potentially bioaccumulate in the human body.

Which is why I wouldn't really mind going bald at 35 or 40, as that wouldn't be that abnormal, but a bald 20 year old stands out a lot.

Have you tried using an app that shows you as bald? -- snapchat has a filter than can do that. I've tried it on myself, and it's actually not that bad Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

For me, I wouldn't care once I reach 60-70, but before than, I'd still take it to heart. Change is scary at any age, but what sucks about hair loss is that it takes years sometimes before it becomes noticeable, so you're under this state of paranoia as it all unfolds, while everyone around you doesn't see the struggles you're undergoing. Take my advice, Ethan Gascoigne, Rogaine foam is where it's at!
Ethan G. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
They stay for a long period of time, but I believe they're discharged into the bloodstream during weight loss. Look up "persistent organic pollutants", should give you an idea of what could potentially bioaccumulate in the human body.
Which is why I wouldn't really mind going bald at 35 or 40, as that wouldn't be that abnormal, but a bald 20 year old stands out a lot.
Have you tried using an app that shows you as bald? -- snapchat has a filter than can do that. I've tried it on myself, and it's actually not that bad Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes For me, I wouldn't care once I reach 60-70, but before than, I'd still take it to heart. Change is scary at any age, but what sucks about hair loss is that it takes years sometimes before it becomes noticeable, so you're under this state of paranoia as it all unfolds, while everyone around you doesn't see the struggles you're undergoing. Take my advice, Ethan Gascoigne, Rogaine foam is where it's at!

I'll have to have a look thanks, I think I was reading a few studies about organic pollutants.

I did use an app that I found, I didn't look great in it to be honest lol, although I imagine I would look better if a) I was a bit older, b) I had some kindof beard and c) the app didn't remove the hair at the sides, which makes it look a bit off.

Yeah I think I'm still in the unnoticeable stage, although my hair looks really bad at the moment anyway as I haven't had it cut since lockdown started lol, haven't really been going out to do much so haven't bothered getting it cut.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Yeah I think I'm still in the unnoticeable stage, although my hair looks really bad at the moment anyway as I haven't had it cut since lockdown started lol, haven't really been going out to do much so haven't bothered getting it cut.

That's probably it, you just need a change so that your mindset resets. I think getting a buzz cut helps reduce the anxiety of going bald because you don't actively see your hairline or find any long hairs in the sink Confounded Face
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1286 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293