a
t
i
r
emily emily
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
With calcium ion (Ca+2) 6 A (.6nm) from a sulfide ion (S-2)
How much energy do they have to exert to keep the ions in this position? They are working in a vacuum.

Dielectric Constant:
Vaccuum=1
k=1/(4pi e)= 8.99 x 10^9 Nm2 C-2
Read 4955 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Can you give us a bit of background on this question, Emily, perhaps start by telling us what textbook you got it from? This will help us answer it. It's been a while since I've done chemistry Thinking Face though I'm willing to give it a shot.
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
It's from a worksheet. Here's the whole problem:

Give the current state of the economy, lots of Maxwell's Demons are unemployed and "will push molecules for food." Accordingly, I hire a couple of demons to hold a Calcium ion (Ca^+2) 6 Angstrom (0.6nm) from a sulfide ion (S^2-)
How much energy do they have to exert to keep the ions in this position? Assume the demons are working in a vacuum.

I know you use this eqn: Use U=k (q1q2)/ Er but I got stuck halfway
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
I'll attempt to answer this now I that I've figured out that we're using coulombs law.

U = k(q1)(q2)/ r2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/1/6/e16f4b0bf23cd9354b492e3581cf9d0f.png

Rightwards Arrow Where U = potential energy
Rightwards Arrow k = constant for a medium (medium is one in which charges are kept, i.e. air, water, etc.)
k also equals to 1/4(pi)(eo) which should be given.
Rightwards Arrow q1, q2 = charges (including their sign, positive or negative)
Rightwards Arrow r = distance between charges

U = (8.99 x 10^9 nm)(2)(-2) / 0.6 nm2

1 Angstrom = 1.0 × 10-10 meters

By substituting in your k value, you can obtain U.

wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Tell me if you get the right answer after plugging in all those numbers.
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Would it be U= (k)[ (q1q2) / Er] I think you forgot the E (dielectric constant) and I believe 8.99x10^9 is supposed to be in JmC2-
I dont have the answer, but I tried your method for this other problem which I have the answer for and it didn't match with what they got.

Inside a protein, a ferric (Fe+3) ion is separated from a cupric ion (cu+2) by a distance of 1.5 nm. What is the energy of attraction between the two ions? Assume the dielectric constant in the protein environment is the same as for water which is 78.54.
Answer: 6948J/mol
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
I'm not sure Confounded Face It should be as straight forward as plugging in the values Thinking Face I found this question and it's pretty much the same, and all they did was plug in the values given in the question.

Calculate the force of attraction between a Ca2+ ion and an O2- ion, the centres of which are 1.25 nm apart.

Answer

This just involves plugging numbers into the formula

F = q1q2/(4 pi epsilon r2)

The numbers to plug in are: q1 = q2 - 3.2 * 10-19 coulombs, r=1.25 * 10-9 m and epsilon = 8.85 * 10-12 F/m, giving the result F = 5.89 * 10-10 N.

Sorry Emily. I'm not much of a physics person so hopefully this example gives you some insight. If you do end up solving, I'd like to know how for future reference.
wrote...
12 years ago
Is this problem solved?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1250 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274