o
n
x
b
Dasha Dasha
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
A client is admitted for treatment of diabetes mellitus. History reveals that the client's mother also is diabetic. The client was diagnosed at age 32 and has required daily insulin injections since the time of diagnosis. The client is 5 feet 5 inches (16.5 meters) tall and weighs 173 pounds (78.6 kg). Which data is most suggestive of type I diabetes?
1. The client's mother also is diabetic.
2. The client was diagnosed at age 32.
3. The client is 5 feet 5 inches (16.5 meters) tall and weighs 173 pounds (78.6 kg).
4. The client has required daily insulin injections since the time of diagnosis.
Textbook 

High-Acuity Nursing

Edition: 6th
Authors:
Read 20 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
kaarnold98kaarnold98
wrote...
A month ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More questions for this book are available here
The answer is 4
Rationales:
1. Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes have a genetic component.
2. An age of 32 at time of diagnosis would be suggestive of type 2 rather than type 1 disease; however, both can occur across a wide distribution of ages.
3. Height and weight measurements suggest that the client is overweight, which can be present in type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
4. Requiring daily insulin injections from the time of diagnosis suggests absolute absence of insulin in the body, which is characteristic of type 1 disease.