a
t
i
r
nf_7138 nf_7138
wrote...
13 years ago
Need help on the following questions:

1) How could you tell if Drosophila melanogaster is DpDp or Dp+?

2) How would you set up the problem to find the probability that 3 out of 5 children will have congenital analgesia(pp) with Pp x Pp parents?

3) Describe the Punnett Square of the Drosophila melanogaster cross with cream eyed males (c^a c^a X^w-e Y) with wild type females (CCX^w+ X^w+).

4) Explain the statement--Having 2 active X chromosomes is a lethal condition for a human female embryo. What happens to prevent this (include details)?

thanks so much for your help guys!
i dont have a book or any kind of material to help me with this thats why i need help

Read 1071 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hmm... For number 4, if one of the X chromosomes is damaged, say it has a gene that produces an insignificant amount of proteins due to some sort of mutation, the other X chromosome could make up for the lose of the homologous chromosome by producing the proteins the body needs. This can only be related to females because only females have two X chromosomes, whereas males only have 1 X and 1 Y.
Nicole Author
wrote...
13 years ago
If anyone can please answer the remaining questions ASAP..I'd greatly appreciate it!!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Rightwards Arrow DpDp or Dp+

How could you tell, cross it with a homozygous dominant fly. If it's Dp+, the offspring will all show dominant traits.

Dp +
+ Dp+ ++
+ Dp+ ++

Remember:

Fruit fly researchers use a different type of symbolism to represent their genetic crosses. They use a plus sign (+) to indicate anything that is the “wild” type and a letter (or sometimes two) to represent a mutant allele (capital if the mutation is a dominant allele, lower case if it’s recessive). Thus a fruit fly with a homozygous grayish-yellow body would be labeled as “++” for body color while a black-bodied fly would be “bb” and a heterozygous fly would be “+b”. The genotype for normal wings would also be symbolized as “++,” while the allele for vestigial wings is “vg” so a fly that is homozygous recessive for that gene would be “vgvg” and a heterozygote would be notated as “+vg”. Similarly, normal red eyes would be “++,” cinnabar eyes would be ”cncn,” and a heterozygote would be “+cn.”
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1350 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?