× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
boeing boeing
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I am really upset I have -15 reputation with no explanation or no indication as to what post someone has deemed bad. I suppose I would not mind as much if some indication was given as to the what post or some kind of explanation by the person who thinks it is a bad post.

I would really like to see this changed to where if a person clicks thumbs down or bad post, they have to fill out a comment stating why they thought it was a bad post. The person who made the post should be able to then view the comments as to the reason the person thought the post was bad. The person of course could remain anonymous but would have to fill out the comment form before the poster is hit with the negative reputation point. If no reason is given by the person then the poster should not be hit with the negative reputation point.

Just my 2 cents
Read 5143 times
24 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I am really upset I have -15 reputation with no explanation or no indication as to what post someone has deemed bad. I suppose I would not mind as much if some indication was given as to the what post or some kind of explanation by the person who thinks it is a bad post.

I would really like to see this changed to where if a person clicks thumbs down or bad post, they have to fill out a comment stating why they thought it was a bad post. The person who made the post should be able to then view the comments as to the reason the person thought the post was bad. The person of course could remain anonymous but would have to fill out the comment form before the poster is hit with the negative reputation point. If no reason is given by the person then the poster should not be hit with the negative reputation point.

Just my 2 cents

It's either your suggestion, or I remove negative reputation altogether.

What do you think?
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I dont think it should be removed necessarily. I just think it is flawed. I have made bad posts which I am able to recognize myself after making them. I honestly do not know how other members may interpret negative reputation a person has. As suppose I am worried from a sellers standpoint that a prospective buyer will view the negative reputation in a way that effects my transactions with other people and not that it actually represents the quality or lack of quality in a post.
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I honestly think that it is us sellers giving each other the negative reputation and I must admit that I am guilty of that on two occasions. When I look at Biolove's reputation at something like -26 I think it is very clear alot of that most likely resulted from other sellers upset with his posting of test-bank chapters for free.

I did read a post by you that stated changing the reputation system involved some difficult coding changes. I wish I could help in that area but I do not know HTML or any web based programming language.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I did read a post by you that stated changing the reputation system involved some difficult coding changes. I wish I could help in that area but I do not know HTML or any web based programming language.

Yeah, I wish someone could too, especially when it's using php, which is far more complex than html, to be honest. I have sent in your request to my coder and I will get back to this issue Rit727.

I appreciate your constant feedback.
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
Reputation -16 now. I am so fustrated by this that I am thinking of not posting anymore. What have I posted in the last 2 days that could possibly be a bad post anyway?  Pouting Face 
I take back what I said above about remaining anonymous when you click the thumbs down or bad post; I really am curious to see who, frequency if the same person, and when.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I am so fustrated by this that I am thinking of not posting anymore.

I can see how this is becoming an issue. I'm still in the process of looking at possibilities.

Here's one (attachment).

Another possibility is to display the total reputation (i.e. Good - Bad), so for you it would be 27 - 16 = 11.

Anyone else have any other idea?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
That looks very nice but I am still 100% for a system in which the comment will be visable to the member who was rated. Without a reason visable to the person, that person may end up getting banned and never have any clue as to why. Also with the comment being visable, it will give the person an opportunity to improve the quality of their posts based on what the person doing the rating has said.

If I knew why I had a -16 reputation I would probably not be complaining. The whole problem is that I have no idea why and neither does anyone else that views my reputation. I can not speak for anyone else but my reputation means alot to me.
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
 Pouting Face  -17  Pouting Face now! I will pay for information leading to the indentity of the individual or individuals giving me a bad reputation. There has to be some kind of a log kept by the forum. I am seriously so upset about this that I am seriously considering deleting my account. Whomever it is that feels compelled to log in each day and hit the bad post or thumbs down on one of my posts is a coward. Man up and come out of the shadows to explain why my post was bad. I am going to leave the forum for a bit because it makes me sick to log in and see that negative number continuing to increase.  Pouting Face  Neutral Face  Frowning Face
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I've got you covered, Rit727. Something will be implemented by today, and I'm betting it's the same person every time Thinking Face ...
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I've finally completed the upgrade. No more guessing.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Now I need your help. This new modification gives you a reason, but it doesn't stop jerks from posting stupid comments Thinking Face That's my main issue why I didn't want to go ahead with it.

Any suggestions what I should do? Perhaps give people with >10 posts privilege to change reputation?
wrote...
13 years ago
Or a warning system?
boeing Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
Reputation -18 now!

Bio_man, Thank you for implementing this. I do not think you will be able to stop jerks from posting stupid comments with reagrd to what reason they give. I sometimes forget we are dealing with teens/young adults here; getting a good form of constructive criticism from a member that did not like your post and chooses to negatively hit anothers reputation is unlikely. I can also see how these comments may very much offend the person being notified of the reputation change. This new modification has the potential to cause tension and possibly conflict between members; turning the annoying rants section into a battleground.

The top three smited users are Biolove, JohnMiller24 and myself. I received my first reputation notice yesterday and of course as suspected it was done by another seller. I think the reputation system would be much better and have a more clear meaning of what it is suppose to represent if sellers could not access it.

All other forum members using the reputation system would continue to use it for its intended purpose which is rating if a post a good response or a bad response. When you then see a member with a high negative reputation it will clearly convey that he/she does not post very good answers to question. If the negative reputation gets to high, as you mentioned before, the options are to suspend or ban the member. The members of this forum will be able to weed out the bad ones and praise the good ones.

You could then change the new sytem so that the comments are only available to you, as board admin, in the event you have to make a decision to suspend or ban a member.

Personally my reputation has been smited at least 14 times which I believe to have been done by other sellers, if not the same seller.  This area is where a change really needs to be made to keep the integrity of the reputation system in tact. Each day someone, most likely same person, has loged in to smite me and increase my neagtive reputation. It needs to be stopped somehow and I can almost guarantee we will see a a slow down in this area when it is somehow stopped.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1231 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352