× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
5 months ago
Are all DNA damages and mutations random, or do they follow a predictable pattern with age?
Read 159 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 months ago
What's that old saying, if you want to know what your wife will look like in 25 years, look at her mother Face with Stuck-out Tongue

Of course that's just a generalization, but it definitely holds true to your question. Humans do follow a predictable aging pattern, and this is most likely due to inherited genes. For instance, my hair started graying around the same time as my father. This tells me that the enzymes responsible for generating pigment began to "age" at around the same time as my father.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
5 months ago
Well I know the epigenome changes in a predictable way by age across entire populations, but I was wondering if DNA mutation change predictably as well?
wrote...
Educator
5 months ago
Well I know the epigenome changes in a predictable way by age across entire populations, but I was wondering if DNA mutation change predictably as well?

I don't think so. Mutations occur randomly and due to circumstance. For example, a smoker is more likely to experience mutation because they're exposed to more toxins than a person who doesn't smoke. Hence, we can't say it is predictable in that sense.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1146 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?