a
t
i
r
emilybee123 emilybee123
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
1.   Cytokines are small proteins that transfer information within the immune system. List the actions of cytokines given in this Topic:
a.      
b.      
c.      
d.      
e.      
   2.   Interleukin 1, a cytokine, acts as a chemical alarm to alert the immune system to the presence of a pathogen. List the three actions given for interleukin 1 in this Topic:
1.   _________________________
2.   _________________________
3.   _________________________
   3.   Interleukin 2, released by helper T cells, causes proliferation of activated lymphocytes. This process is called _________________________.
   4.   The two major classes of lymphocytes that mediate cellular immunity are based on the presence of surface proteins called _______ proteins. The most common are those with the _______ markers.
   5.   Below are the two major classes of cells with CD protein markers. List what the cells become and what class of MHC proteins they bind.
CD4 cells:   Most become _____________ cells but some become _____________ cells
      Bind to ______________ MHC proteins
CD8 cells:   All become ______________ cells
      Bind to ______________ MHC proteins
   6.   The HIV virus binds to CD4 surface proteins and destroys the ______________ cells.
   7.   The _______ proteins are one major class of self-antigens. Thus, before an organ transplant, the donor’s and the recipient’s ________ proteins are matched as closely as possible to decrease the chance of organ _______________.
   8.   ______________ cells circulate through the body searching for infected or cancerous cells by examining the antigenic determinant on ______________ MHC proteins on the cell surface. Fragments of ______________, degraded proteins are loaded onto these proteins in the endoplasmic reticulum. If the antigenic peptide is a/an ______________ antigen, the body cell will be destroyed.
   9.   Unlike class I MHC proteins, which can be displayed on any nucleated cell, class II MHC proteins are displayed only on select cells. Name the antigen-presenting cells that have class II MHC proteins:
a.   _________________________
b.   _________________________
c.   _________________________
      These cells communicate with CD4 cells, which will become ______________ cells. Antigens presented on class II cells are ______________ antigens.
   10.   Class II MHCs are produced in the _________________________ and pick up the exogenous antigens when they fuse with the ______________.
   11.   Name two results of presenting the exogenous antigen on class II MHC proteins:
1.   CD4 cells are converted to helper T cells when ______________ cells and ______________ present the antigen.
2.   ______________ cells and ______________ present antigens to helper T cells to request further activation.
   12.   Dendritic cells are responsible for activating most T cells. Choose the correct answer for each of the following:
      They can capture antigens found ______________ (extracellularly, intracellularly, or both extra- and intracellularly).
      They can activate ______________ (CD4, CD8, or both CD4 and CD8) cells.
      They can express ______________ (MHC I, MHC II, or both MHC I and MHC II) proteins.
   13.   Exception: Normally, when cells express endogenous foreign antigens on class I MHC proteins on their cell membrane, they are marked for destruction. This is not true for ______________ cells. On these cells the presentation acts as an activation signal for ______________ cells.
   14.   List the two steps necessary for T cell activation:
   15.   Once T cells are activated they undergo proliferation (called ____________ __________________) and differentiation. ______________, a type of cytokine, is necessary for the proliferation.
   16.   Antigen-presenting cells will express co-stimulatory molecules when they have been signaled by the ______________ defense mechanisms that an infection is present. However, if there is no infection, the antigens on the MHC protein are likely to be ______________. Thus, without co-stimulation, the T cells become inactivated, a process called ______________.
   17.   There are two ways to induce a process of self-destruction in a cell, which is called ______________:
1.   Cytotoxic T cells look for the presence of MHCs with foreign antigens and release ______________ and ______________ or they bind to a/an ______________ ______________ receptor (Fas receptor) on the surface of the cell.
2.   Natural killer cells look for the absence of ______________ and are thus able to eliminate abnormal cells that cytotoxic T cells cannot detect.
   18.   Helper T cells are critical for the activation of ______________ and ______________ T cells.
   19.   The helper T cell can help activate the CD8 cell to become a/an ______________ T cell in two ways:
1.   It stimulates the dendritic cells to express additional ______________ molecules.
2.   It secretes ______________ (including interleukin 2) to help activation.
   20.   TH1 cells secrete ______________ interferons, which increase the effectiveness of ______________ and ______________ T cells. TH2 cells secrete interleukins _______ and _______, which promote activation of _____ cells.
   21.   Regulatory T cells suppress the activity of other T cells by direct ____________________ contact or by releasing ____________________. They are important in helping to prevent ___________________ diseases.

Read 11582 times
43 Replies