× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
09mohamf 09mohamf
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
I need help writing an abstract for a lab report regarding exercise 7 & exercise 10 for physio ex 8.0. Any suggestions?
Read 2598 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Respiratory System Mechanics and Acid-Base Balance?
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Yep. I'm attempting it right now. Going to follow the "Goals, Methods, Results, Conclusion" guideline..
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The goals of the first experiment were to measure normal respiratory volumes and capacities, and to then compare how these values change upon manipulating various factors, as well as what happens when pathophysiology develops or during episodes of aerobic exercise.

This is my first sentence... good enough?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
The goals of the first experiment were to measure normal respiratory volumes and capacities, and to then compare how these values change upon manipulating various factors, as well as what happens when pathophysiology develops or during episodes of aerobic exercise.

This is my first sentence... good enough?

Technically, you shouldn't use the word 'goal', but use the word 'purpose'. The purpose of the abstract is to summarize the experiment performed and the results obtained. It consists of a single paragraph containing no more than 250 words and must include:

Rightwards Arrow One or two lines introducing the topic and stating the purpose (from Introduction).
Rightwards Arrow Briefly express the basic design of the study and describe the key techniques used (from Materials and Methods).
Rightwards Arrow The key findings presented in the paper (from Results), along with a brief statement of the significance of the results (from Discussion).
Rightwards Arrow Final conclusions/future prospects (from Discussion). 

The Abstract SHOULD NOT contain:

Rightwards Arrow lengthy background information
Rightwards Arrow References to other literature
Rightwards Arrow Abbreviations or terms that may be confusing to readers 
Rightwards Arrow Illustrations, Figures, Tables, or references to them. 

The abstract is usually written after the manuscript has been completed since it is a summary of what is presented in the manuscript. To help you write the abstract, you can start by copying key sentences from the different sections of the manuscript. Then organize the sentences in sequence, delete unnecessary details, and connect the sentences to obtain a clear and concise paragraph that accurately summarizes the work presented in the manuscript. As you become more proficient you will most likely compose the Abstract from scratch.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Yep. I'm attempting it right now. Going to follow the "Goals, Methods, Results, Conclusion" guideline..

Hey 09mohamf and welcome to biology-forums.com...

Alright, so you need help with the abstract? Bio-man is right in that it must be short and to the point, so why don't you upload what you've got and I will correct it for you.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
hey thanks i appreciate the help both of you guys. I'm almost done the exercise 7 abstract. the maximum is 400 (so about 200 each lab exercise). I'll post it in about 5-10 minutes. Thanks again!
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
The purpose of the first experiment was to measure normal respiratory volumes and capacities, and to then compare how these values change upon manipulating various factors, altering breathing patterns, as well as what happens when pathophysiology develops or during episodes of aerobic exercise. The respiratory volumes were measured using a water-filled spirometer, and a pair of mechanical lungs, while the traces were examined using an oscilloscope monitor. Compared to normal conditions, all respiratory volumes values decreased when airway radius was decreased. When surfactant was added, total flow rate doubled. When a pneumothorax was induced, total flow rate was halved. Compared to the baseline trace, the rapid breathing trace displayed a decreased depth but increased rate of breathing, and low PC02 levels were recorded. The rebreathing trace displayed a gradually increasing depth of breathing, and high PCO2 levels were recorded. When breathholding was induced, PCO2 levels increased dramatically then dropped when normal breathing was resumed, and the trace showed slight increased rate and depth of breathing. Compared to normal conditions, emphysema and asthmatic patients the greatest decrease in FVC and FEV1 (%). Yet, an asthmatic patient with inhaler maintained normal FEV1. During episodes of exercise, TV increased and IRV decreased.

Okay this  is 199 words, and I have yet to put in the conclusion.... Confounded Face. Thanks in advance!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
The purpose of the first experiment was to measure normal respiratory volumes and capacities, and compare these values to measurements taken when breathing patterns are altered and during episodes of aerobic exercise. The respiratory volumes were measured using a water-filled spirometer and a pair of mechanical lungs, while the traces were examined using an oscilloscope monitor. Compared to normal conditions, respiratory volumes decreased when airway radius was decreased. When surfactant was added, total flow rate double, and when a pneumothorax was induced, total flow rate was halved. Compared to the baseline trace, the rapid breathing trace displayed a decreased depth, but increased rate of breathing, resulting in low PCO2 levels. The rebreathing trace displayed a gradual increase and high PCO2 levels were recorded. When breathholding was induced, PCO2 levels increased dramatically and subsequently dropped when normal breathing was resumed, and the trace showed a slight increased rate and depth of breathing. Compared to normal conditions, emphysema and asthmatic patients showed the greatest decrease in FVC and FEV1 (%). Yet, an asthmatic patient with inhaler maintained normal FEV1. During episodes of exercise, TV increased and IRV decreased.

Please no:

Abbreviations or terms that may be confusing to readers

Enjoy.
- Bachelor of Science
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you. Much appreciated!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Thank you. Much appreciated!

Thumbs up would be too Grinning Face
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1220 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204