s
a
t
i
r
adhungan adhungan
wrote...
9 years ago
Describe a way that scientists can use to determine if a protein is located on the exoplasmic face of the cell membrane. 

Please helppp !!
Read 508 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Start with this definitions:

Exoplasmic face

You're asking, what characteristics would a peptide have in order to be in the exoplasmic face - I'm not sure Face with Stuck-out Tongue

I did find this information that might help --

Many such proteins contain a single membrane-spanning segment: a sequence of 20 – 25 hydrophobic amino acids that forms a transmembrane α helix, anchoring the protein in the phospholipid bilayer. Most of these single-pass transmembrane proteins have their hydrophilic N-terminal segment on the exoplasmic face and their hydrophilic C-terminal segment on the cytosolic face; other single-pass proteins have the reverse orientation. Many plasma-membrane proteins have multiple membrane-spanning α-helical segments. Such multi- pass transmembrane proteins include the glucose transporter GLUT1 and numerous G protein – linked cell-surface receptors. Still other membrane proteins, which lack a hydrophobic membrane-spanning segment, are linked to a glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) anchor that is embedded in the phospholipid bilayer.
Source  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21731/
adhungan Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Start with this definitions:

Exoplasmic face

You're asking, what characteristics would a peptide have in order to be in the exoplasmic face - I'm not sure Face with Stuck-out Tongue

I did find this information that might help --

I need the method that scientist use to find where the proteins are located. As in the explasmic face of cell membrane.

Many such proteins contain a single membrane-spanning segment: a sequence of 20 – 25 hydrophobic amino acids that forms a transmembrane α helix, anchoring the protein in the phospholipid bilayer. Most of these single-pass transmembrane proteins have their hydrophilic N-terminal segment on the exoplasmic face and their hydrophilic C-terminal segment on the cytosolic face; other single-pass proteins have the reverse orientation. Many plasma-membrane proteins have multiple membrane-spanning α-helical segments. Such multi- pass transmembrane proteins include the glucose transporter GLUT1 and numerous G protein – linked cell-surface receptors. Still other membrane proteins, which lack a hydrophobic membrane-spanning segment, are linked to a glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) anchor that is embedded in the phospholipid bilayer.

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Neutral Face
Answer accepted by topic starter
DrDolittleDrDolittle
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, DrDolittle
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 170 words.