a
t
i
r
donut-shaker donut-shaker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm over halfway through exercise 3 but there are some questions I'm having trouble with.

Activity 3
3-1:  Explain why the threshold voltage is not always the same value) between axons and within an axon).

Activity 4
4-3:  For action potential generation and propagation, are there any other cation channels that could substitute for the voltage-gated sodium channels if the sodium channels were blocked?
Would this one be referring to passive channels? I think I just need some help understanding this one.

Thank you.
Read 11821 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Activity 3
3-1:  Explain why the threshold voltage is not always the same value) between axons and within an axon)

Activity 3

1. Each region of the neuron contains distinct membrane proteins that provide the basis for the threshold differences.

2. The action potential is regenerated by the influx of sodium which establishes local currents that depolarize adjacent sections of the membrane to threshold. The action potential must be regenerated at adjacent sections of the membrane.

3. The action potential is not graded. It is “all or none,” so the peak value of the action potential doesn't change.

Activity 4

1. The sodium channels are voltage-gated sodium channels. Closure of the inactivation gate is a delayed response to the initial depolarization to threshold which closes the inactivation gate about 1 msec after sodium channels open.

2. Careful preparation of the pufferfish requires removal of the toxic portions that contain tetrodotoxin. The poison is most concentrated in the liver, ovaries and skin of the fish.

3. Calcium channels could possibly substitute for sodium channels to provide an influx of cation.
hquiroga4902,  Soneul,  bio_man
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1314 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4