r
m
j
c
Dannyy Dannyy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
A normal corpus luteum secretes large amounts of progesterone and a smaller amount of estradiol. What would result from a malfunctioning corpus luteum that secreted large amounts of estradiol and only a small amount of progesterone?

The endometrial glands would develop normally

LH levels would rise

A fertilized blastocyst would implant in the uterus

FHS levels would fall

The hormone ADH travels through the blood stream, what happens if the ADH reaches non-target cells?

the non-targeted cells will be activated by ADH

the non-target cells signal back to the posterior pituitary to inhibit ADH production

the non-target cells will respond the same way as taget cells

the non-target cells will not respond to ADH

Aldosterone is hydrophobic and acetylcholine is a charged molecule.  Which of these is an intracellular signlaing molecule and why?

Aldosterone because it can pass through the lipid bilayer

Acetylcholine because it can pass through the lipid bilayer

Aldosterone because it binds direclty to the DNA

Acetylcholine because it binds directly to the DNA

Read 1497 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
The hormone ADH travels through the blood stream, what happens if the ADH reaches non-target cells?

the non-targeted cells will be activated by ADH

the non-target cells signal back to the posterior pituitary to inhibit ADH production

the non-target cells will respond the same way as taget cells

the non-target cells will not respond to ADH

The non-target cells will simply NOT respond.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Aldosterone is hydrophobic and acetylcholine is a charged molecule.  Which of these is an intracellular signlaing molecule and why?

Aldosterone because it can pass through the lipid bilayer

Acetylcholine because it can pass through the lipid bilayer

Aldosterone because it binds direclty to the DNA

Acetylcholine because it binds directly to the DNA

Extracellular molecules have to hydrophilic, while intracellular ones can be be hydrophobic.
Dannyy Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Bioman,

Thank you for you help with these, If I understand your explanation, it will be, Aldosterone because it can pass through the lipid bilayer, Correct?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
That's what I think.
Dannyy Author
wrote...
9 years ago
That was my original thought as well. Any idea about the first one with the normal corpus luteum malfunction? I have an answer for that one but would like to know what you think.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
An elevated Estradiol will tell you that your FSH is being suppressed.
Dannyy Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, Shawn081
Just for my knowledge. Does this still cause the corpus luteum to detach? Isn't a certain level of progesterone and estradiol required? So estradiol is repsonsible for lowing FSH levels in the ovulation cycle.  If I understand it correctly, the corpus luteum is formed from the folicle and degenerates if the oocyte (egg) is not fertilized.
Post Merge: 9 years ago

Originally I was going to put that LH levels would rise. Can you help explain to me why FSH levels are going to be supressed?
wrote...
9 years ago
FSH

The corpus luteum is the gland formed in the ovary from the ovulated follicle(s). It makes progesterone and  and estradiol that is secreted in to the blood and causes the lining of the uterus to become secretory. Blood level of progesterone in the middle of the luteal phase > 30nmol/l suggest that the endometrial effect of the progesterone is likely to be sufficient to assist an embryo implanting in the uterus. This progesterone in the blood also feeds back to the pituitary to ensure that little FSH is produced. There is no value in measuring the hormones FSH, LH and E2 at the same time as a Day 21 progesterone because their interpretation is not of any value if the progesterone is raised, as it should be in the mid-luteal phase.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1194 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 262

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?