t
i
r
r
das1130 das1130
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
An 80 g arrow is fired from a bow whose string exerts an average force of 95 N on the arrow over a distance of 77 cm. What is the speed of the arrow as it leaves the bow?

Please tell me HOW to do it, I don't need you to give me an answer. Although, if you give me an answer that'd be nice too so that I can have something to compare to. But the most important thing is to show how this can be solved, i.e. with which equation, etc.
Read 600 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Well the work is the ratio between Force over distance while energy has two equations (i think.haha i forgot the other one)
Potential Energy= mass*gravity*height
Kinetic Energy=1/2*mass*velocity.

I hope that would help!
wrote...
11 years ago
The basic argument is to apply the work-energy theorem:  The work done on a mass by the net force acting on it changes the mass's kinetic energy by that same amount.

What you need to do is first find the work done on the arrow (use the definition of work as force times the distance through which it acts).  Then equate that to the change in the arrow's kinetic energy.  (Since the arrow starts from rest it starts out with zero KE, which makes things easier.)

You should be able to find the arrow's speed once you know the value of its kinetic energy.

ADDED-
I feel I should point out a couple of errors in the first answer above.  Work is force *times* distance, not force over distance.  And kinetic energy is 1/2 *mass*speed^2.  That's speed *squared*.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1393 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274