p
n
C
z
k
julie julie
wrote...
11 years ago
I will be taking AP Chemistry next year.  Is there more memorization and reading the textbook over and over, or is the course more about understanding and logic?  In Honors Chemistry, except for the vocabulary terms, we do not need the book at all, yet in AP Biology, preparation for a test involves re-reading a chapter multiple times to memorize it.  What is AP Chem like?
Read 624 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It will obviously depend on your instructor, but it involves a combination of both memorization and understanding.  Luckily, the memorization isn't too difficult as most of the formulas are given to you.
wrote...
11 years ago
Like the first person said. It's mostly memorizing. It also involves a lot of math and you have to understand each topic because it will come back to hunt you if you don't. If you're a math person chemistry should be easier for you. It about both understanding, logic and memorization. My instructor only refers us to the book if we want to do more practice. They should know what they're talking about that why you don't really use the book. But make sure you understand each concept and can apply it otherwise you're going to fail the course.(I'm taking AP Chemistry, right now I have an A.)
wrote...
11 years ago
it depends what your school is like, but at my school, we do tons of awesome labs and demos and a lot of non-book stuff, but it is definitely hard.  there isnt really memorizing, you just kinda have to know things.  i love it
wrote...
11 years ago
AP Chem is difficult if you're not proficient in the basics of chem already.

Conceptually, some things are somewhat hard to grasp. However, this should certainly not be a problem if you pay attention and do your homework.

I'm a sophomore in AP Chem. I skipped my high school's Chem - H course, which involved quite a bit of work and talking to administrators because students are technically not allowed to skip the prerequisite.

I study for AP Chem by reading the chapter the night before the test, and I do fine. It's probably somewhere between Bio - H and AP Bio. Just make sure you have an understanding of the very basics before you expect to understand the chemistry behind AP Chem.

Other than that, it's a fantastic course. I love it.
wrote...
11 years ago
The difficulty depends on why you are taking AP Chem and what the instructor expects.  If you are taking it to prepare for the College Board AP Chem exam, then there are some things you need to know.  The exam does NOT require a lot of memorizing (you need to know your elements, radicals and their charges)  On the AP Exam you are given a periodic chart and just about all of the equations and constants you need.  Unlike some of the other AP Courses you have to be able to see how each topic is related to the other topics - you have to see the whole picture. AP Calculus, AP Chem and AP Physics are the three hardest exams.

If you are just taking it to have it on your transcript then you should have a good foundation in first year Chemistry so that you can build on it.  It is NOT a good idea to take an AP level course without first fulfilling the prerequisites!  I have a student this year who did not take the prerequisite first year course and he's struggling to maintain a D!.  I teach it for success on the exam.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  984 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293