a
t
i
r
firemonkey firemonkey
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
i'm an undeclared freshman in college i want to major in marine biology , but i fear it will be hard to find a job, and even harder to start a family because of the low salary.

is it even true that marine biologists do not make a lot and have a hard time getting a steady job.

what do you guys know about this field?

thanks
Read 753 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Zoo
Seaworld
wrote...
11 years ago
i sounds good
wrote...
11 years ago
If I could do school over...this would be my field of choice. I would move to the Caribbean...and work with dolphins and the tourist that pay to swim with them. I think they are fascinating, gentle creatures that I could play with them...get paid...and most of all....LIVE IN THE HEAT IN PARADISE without the expense of living in the states.  It would be worth the pay cut to me....You spend 40 hrs a week typically at a job...and if you do not enjoy what you do....you will eventually be unhappy getting up in the am. I went into the medical field since it will never go out of business...but went from hands on clinical to behind the scene as a manager of billing office...not too much interaction..but work independently which is ideal. Good Luck to you in what ever career choice you choose...CONGRATS
wrote...
11 years ago
I have a degree in Marine Biology. The first job I took related to this field started as a city job in a small zoo. Starting pay at $28,000. It was tough getting in. I applied many times before but was declined. I took many odd jobs before getting in and volunteered a lot at the zoo. It was those contacts I made as a volunteer that got me in! I now am working on a Phd. I really need this so I can gain a better salary. My next plan after I graduate is to work in research and teaching with a university or take on a lead role in a bigger zoo. Good luck!
wrote...
11 years ago
What are some of the jobs a marine biologist might aspire for?

1-Teacher in university or high school
2-Researcher (University, oceanographic laboratory)
3-Laboratory technician in university, oceanographic laboratory
4-Resource manager for public agency such as fisheries agency, a state
dept. of environmental protection
5-Technician or field worker in consulting company
6-Biologist working in environmental advocacy organization
7-Biologist working in aquarium or zoo

What is the job security of being a marine biologist?

You can ALWAYS get fired! But generally, job security is pretty much the same as the TYPE of employment you have. Thus if you are a marine biologist teaching in college, your security is the same as that of college teachers (who strive for tenure, which gives them security). If you are an environmental manager working for the federal government (e.g., U. S. Environmental Protection Agency), you have a federal job classification and you have the same job security as other federal employees of your classification. Same for private industry, where I would suspect that responses to a bad economy would be quicker and job security therefore would be somewhat less than college or government employment.

f you want to be a marine biologist, you are preparing for a life in science. Science education in high school is a must. Nearly all school systems in the U. S . teach biology, chemistry, earth sciences, and physics. All are essential for an understanding of the natural world. Many high school students avoid physics because they see it as too hard and abstract. I promise you that you will regret passing physics up if you are serious about science. It is also crucial to take mathematics, as much as possible. If you do not start calculus in high school, you will need it in college. You must learn to write and courses in English are very important. In summary, high school is the time to get a firm education. Don't worry about taking courses or groups of courses in marine biology. If your school has a marine biology course, then of course take it. You might also consider summer courses, camps, and internships in your area. As an example, my university has a summer residential research program for high school students. Your local college may have a similar program. Even if it is not in marine biology, it may introduce you to the wonderful world of science and research.

For more information on this topic go to:
http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/mycareer.html
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79