t
S
m
s
smilemin smilemin
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I need to decide between a science concentration or a minor for my BS Mathematics degree.

The science concentration requires a year of general chemistry, a year of calculus-based physics, and a year of principles of biology OR a year of chemistry beyond general chem.

If I choose the path that requires a minor, then Asian studies or economics will be my minor because I already have credits that'll count towards both.

So, for jobs that will take an applicant with a mathematics degree, will having a BS Mathematics, science concentration, help me more than having a BS Mathematics w/ a minor in Economics?

I want to complete a social science or humanities minor because my writing needs all the improvement it can get, but I don't want my degree to be looked down on because I didn't take a lot of science courses. I've only taken a year of general chem as of right now.

What do you think?
What about when applying to applied math graduate programs?

Thanks.
Read 436 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
University Confidential and our Team of TrailBlazers decided to give this one a shot:

First thing to consider here is what you ultimately want to do.  If an international career sounds exciting to you than Asian Studies is exactly where you want to be - especially if you tack on an exchange.  If your interested in Banking and Finance/Insurance you will want to take on the Economics Concentration.  And if you are interested in Oil/Gas/or construction project management then consider the science angles of it.

Economics and Asian Studies do give you the broadest background and will give you the most choices.  One on the international side and the other as a business analyst.  (Basically a mathematician with an Economics background becomes a business analyst in practically any field.)

The bottom line is you can really not go wrong with having math as a base.  You do absolutely need a minor though as on its own its too narrow.  All of these other minors will allow you to round out your degree and help to make you highly employable - especially Asian Studies  because the current century is the Asian (Chinese/India/indonesia) Century as the last one was the American Century.
OakTree
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  971 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?