× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Data Data
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Do they have the same structural formula?
Read 814 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
They have the same molecular formula but different structure
Fructose is a monosaccharide, or single sugar, that has the same chemical formula as glucose but a different molecular structure.
Although they share the same molecular formula (C6H12O6), the arrangement of atoms differs in each case. , which have identical molecular formulas but different structural formulas, are known as structural isomers.
wrote...
11 years ago
They are called 'isomers'.

Same formula, different structure. Same as galactose as well....

C6H12O6 is the formula.

Sucrose is a dissacharide formed by the combination of glucose and fructose.

Wow, funny how others' answers get changed after posting this! Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
They don't have the same structural formula.  If they did, they wouldn't be two separate sugars.  I can say that for sure.

I don't remember if fructose is a complex sugar like sucrose (made of 2 smaller sugars) or if it is a simple sugar like glucose.
If it is a simple sugar like glucose, I don't remember if it has the same molecular formula.  A simple sugar could theoretically have the same molecular formula as glucose and still be structurally different, I just don't remember that for fructose.
wrote...
11 years ago
No darling.  The biggest difference between the two, besides the functions, is that glucose is a 6 carbon ring and fructose is a 5 carbon ring.

Wikipedia has really good explainations of both with pictures!  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose

They are very common monosacchrides that are often combined together for difference polysacchrides though.  Glucose is the main one that is used for energy in our body.  You will not get as much energy out of fructose simply because it has to go through a special break down process then glucose, the end result being not as much energy being created molecule per molecule.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1219 People Browsing
Related Images