a
t
i
r
asiancajun311 asiancajun311
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Please help me with this science question! I cannot find it in my book or anything! I believe my teacher told us at one point but i cannot remember for the life of me!

Which planet has the longest night?

Thank you so much in advance! Please no ignorant or unhelpful answers, or jokes involving Uranus...I've heard them all already.

THANK YOU! Smiling Face with Open Mouth <3
Read 750 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Since Venus has the longest rotation period of any planet, approximately 243 days, the result would yield the longest periods of darkness to the surface.
Also, URanus muahahah.
wrote...
11 years ago
This isn't something that you need to find in a book.

All you need to remember is that day and night on a planet is due to the planet's rotation.  So the planet that rotates the slowest will have the longest night.

So all you have to find is how long it takes each planet to rotate once.
Here are a few to get you started:
- Earth - 24 hours
- Mars - 24.6 hours
- Jupiter 9.9 hours
wrote...
11 years ago
The planet Uranus has an Axis Tilt of 97.7°, meaning the rotational axis is nearly in the plane of the planets orbit around the Sun.  The result is that when one of the poles is point in the direction of the Sun its opposite pole is in long period darkness that can last up to half the planet's orbital period.  The duration of the darkness depends on the latitude or distance from the planet's equator.  Since the orbital period of Uranus is 84.323 326 years, the dark period at the pole can last for half an orbit or approximately 42 years.

Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus
wrote...
11 years ago
The planet with the longest night is Venus; a night on Venus takes 243 Earth days. (A night on Venus is longer than its year; a year on Venus takes only 224.7 Earth days).

They used to think Mercury was in a tidal lock with the Sun (that is, same side always faces the Sun), but beginning in 1965, radar mapping of Mercury revealed that it had a 3:2 resonance, and that  night on Mercury lasts 176 Earth days.
wrote...
11 years ago
Pluto.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1339 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372