t
i
r
r
rkdgh2002 rkdgh2002
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
the degree in sociology is concentrated towards criminology.. i graduate in two years and want to know what kind of jobs are perfect with the degree and minor...
Read 1380 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You may want to look into social services in the town you plan to live in.  Fresh out, you should be able to land a case manager position working with youth.  These jobs do not pay much and burnout can cause higher turnover rates.  

I have a similar background as yours (social science degree).  My first job in my field was a residential case manager for a group home.  I worked with young males between the age of 13 and 18 who had behavior, mental, social welfare issues.  I had to become a foster parent in the process and basically became a surrogate father/brother to many of these kids.  The pay was great considering I didn't have to pay for room and board.  There was never a dull day but burn out took its toll and 6 months was all I could mentally handle.  I did save enough money to get a Masters degree and now I work in the tech field.  

Keep in mind that when working in social services - you have to tolerate a lot of crap and you really have to have a honest desire to work with people because its an industry that has its own way of natural selection.  

Good Luck -

P.S. if you are ever concerned about monetary compensation, perhaps you should consider supplementing your degrees with an additional professional degree, a Masters or PhD.
wrote...
11 years ago
social worker.  but, you need a masters degree.  hope you like school.  oh, and the pay in social work is honest, but not great.  health benefits and retirement plan is usually ok.
wrote...
11 years ago
elementary school counselor
wrote...
11 years ago
how about no job.  actually you could be a case manager and work with child welfare or anything else that is available in case management.  but it's hard.  I was a spanish major with a minor in sociology and have had a hard time getting a job outside of social services or education.
try to get your work experience in something different.  you can always use your degree to get a job in something related to it, like i said above.  but try to vary your actual work experience or move away from sociology so that you have more options.
sorry if that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
but it's tough out there to get a job you really like.
wrote...
11 years ago
Manager at McDonald's.  The child development for all the minor workers, and the sociology for general management.

Do you want fries with that?
wrote...
11 years ago
People greeter at Wal-Mart.

I'm kidding.  Your credentials are impressive.  What are you drawn to?  I think being a social worker sounds ideal for you.
wrote...
11 years ago
Try these websites

http://sociology.ucsd.edu/why/why.htm

http://www.wwu.edu/depts/socad/careers.html

http://www.census.gov/hrd/www/jobs/stu_temp.html
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1132 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4