F
a
u
o
zzwChris zzwChris
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
my daughters school is hosting a blood drive, and i am B- so i really want to donate. but my body doesn't absorb B-12 very well and i have to get shots every month. will that affect anything? also my husband has MS so is he not allowed to donate or does it have anything to do with blood? thanks
Read 454 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
As to the vitamin B12, when you donate blood they ask you a series of questions and they test your blood.

None of the questions has to do with B12 level or intake.  You didn't say the name of the shots, but I don't think they were on the list of medicines that preclude you from donating.

But they do also test your blood to make sure you can spare enough of it.  B12 deficiency can cause a kind of anemia called megaloblastic anemia (info below).  If you're anemic they won't let you donate.

Sorry I don't know about the MS.  You can call the organization running the blood drive (it's often the Red Cross) and ask these questions in advance over the phone.

Thanks for donating blood.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1052 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4