Top Posters
Since Sunday
Tidy Tidy
wrote...
8 years ago
Werner & Sons is a manufacturer of three-ring binders operating in a perfectly competitive industry. Table 9-5 shows the firm's cost schedule.

Table 9-5
Quantity (cases)   Variable Cost   Total Cost    Marginal Cost   Average Variable Cost   Average Total Cost
0      $0   $76         
1     30   106         
2     50            
3      134         
4      140         
5      160         
6   114            
7   150            
8   190            
9      316         

Use the table to answer the following questions.
a.   Complete Table 9-5 by filling in the blank cells.
b.   Werner is selling in a perfectly competitive market at a price of $40. What is the profit maximizing or loss-minimizing output?
c.   Calculate the firm's profit or loss.
d.   Should the firm continue to produce in the short run? Explain.
e.   If the firm's fixed costs were $30 higher what would be the profit-maximizing output level in the short run? Indicate whether the output level will increase, decrease or remain unchanged compared to your answer in b.
f.   Suppose fixed cost remains at $76. If the price of three-ring binders falls to $20 what is the profit-maximizing or loss-minimizing output?
g.   Calculate the profit or loss. Should the firm continue to produce in the short run? Explain your answer.
h.    Suppose the fixed cost remains at $76. What price corresponds to the shut-down point?
i.   Suppose the fixed cost remains at $76. What price corresponds to the break-even point?
Textbook 
Essentials of Economics

Essentials of Economics

Edition: 4th
Authors:
Read 1046 times
2 Replies
Repeat after me: 'Calm down. Things are gonna be fine. Things are gonna be all great. Just relax.' Wink Face
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
VincenzoDVincenzoD
wrote...
Top Poster
8 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More solutions for this book are available here
This verified answer contains over 360 words.
yangjjj