i
r
mikeee mikeee
wrote...
11 years ago
Synthesize :

HO2C (CH2) 4 CO2H

CH3O2CCH2CO2CH3

I've been at it for 30 minutes and still can not get it. Hope some one here knows how its done. Thank You.

Please include the steps you used and the solvents if any were used.

Thank You Very Much In Advanced.
Read 651 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
_biology Author
wrote...
11 years ago
1- add as little from this to that
2- remove this from that but be careful, it should be very very little
3- combine the remaining and add 1/2 tea spoon of H2O with 1/4 of CH
4- enjoy the mixture and have it after food three times a day
_biology Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Usually, when I don't know an answer, I keep my big mouth shut, but Wassam's answer upset me so I thought I'd at least try to help. The formula you've written doesn't make sense, Answermeplz; ....at least it doesn't to me. You've written a formula with two carbon atoms in your chain having two oxygen atoms attached to them. That's impossible. Look at your problem again. Perhaps you've copied it wrong; if not, then it's a typographical error. I'm sorry, I'd like to help, but I can't.
wrote...
11 years ago
There is a typo here somewhere. The stated problem CAN be worked, but it involves multiple long tedious reactions, which I'm sure you wd not be subjected to.

dimethyl malonate ---> malonic acid (CH2)1
or
dimethyl adipate ---> adipic acid (CH2)4
was probably meant.

Both are simply hydrolysis reactions, the alcohol being split from the acid by means of alkali...eg
H3COOC(CH2)xCOOCH3 --[NaOH/H2O]Rightwards Arrow 2CH3OH + NaOOC(CH2)xCOONa --[HCl/H2O]Rightwards Arrow HOOC(CH2)xCOOH +2NaCl

The salt is water-soluble, but the acid ppts out and can be isolated by filtering/washing.
wrote...
11 years ago
CH3OOCCH2)2 dimethyl succinate... + xs NaOH ---> HOOC-CH2CH2COOH

HOOC-CH2CH2COOH +  xsSOCl2 ---> ClOC-CH2CH2COCl

ClOC-CH2CH2COCl  + (1) CH2N2 THEN (2) Ag2O/H2O Rightwards Arrow HOOC-CH2CH2CH2CH2COOH adipic acid

(Arndt-Eistert Reaction)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1259 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431