a
t
i
r
daveed12 daveed12
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
am i allowed to pick what i want to do when i get into astronomy? for example, if i go to a graduate school, will they let me decide to do research or do teaching? and after i get my bachelor's degree, do i have then get into a master's degree program or can i go straight to PH.D program?
why does it take 10 years to become an astronomer? isnt it right after i get PH.D? which takes 8 years.
Read 724 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
lexus350lexus350
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
here's how it goes

get a bs in physics, minor in math (a must)
get accepted to any graduate school with a physics PhD program and an astronomy division..(even fewer)

Throughout your graduate school career you may (or often Must) teach undergraduate classes as part of your program.  This frees up the professors to teach higher classes.

You may just be a TA teacher's assistant or LA lab assistant.

YOu will have to join a Research group headed by one of the research professors.  They are the ones with the Astronomy research programs and it is in thier group you will develop your research thesis.  your reputation as a scientist begins here.

by your 2nd year, you will have taken a series of "qualifying exams".  Usually you must pass 4 of these quals to remain in the PhD program.  if you dont, you are "allowed" to complete the MS thesis and graduate within the semester.

not pretty but thats how it is.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1250 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?