a
t
i
r
vigates vigates
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Can enhancers work in trans? That is, can an enhancer on one piece of DNA activate a promoter on another piece of DNA. Propose an experiment to test this.
I have found that enhancers do work in trans, but I cannot find any experiments to prove that? Is there an obvious one that I am missing?
Read 4115 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Can enhancers work in trans? That is, can an enhancer on one piece of DNA activate a promoter on another piece of DNA. Propose an experiment to test this.

Yes they do work in trans.

Simple experiment, silence an enhancer, see what happens - protein produced or not?
Biology!
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
I have found that enhancers do work in trans, but I cannot find any experiments to prove that? Is there an obvious one that I am missing?

Could you update us with an answer?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
vigates Author
wrote...
11 years ago
 Enhancers can work in trans when the DNA with the target promoter is linked to the DNA with the enhancer by a protein bridge.

I have sent this to my teacher, and he has not responded with an explanation for me yet. I will update when he gets back to me.
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
Thanks for getting back to us.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
ela
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, ela
Any updates on this question?
Post Merge: 11 years ago

how could I propose an experiment to test this?
wrote...
11 years ago
Anybody ever come up with the correct answer?
vigates Author
wrote...
11 years ago
This process is called transvection, if one chromosome contains an enhancer while the gene it regulates in on another chromosome if they come into close proximity the enhancer will regulate the expression of the gene. one way to test this is to make two transgenes, one that contain a wild type and another that contains a mutant enhancer. You would put these two transgenes into a strain that contains a reporter gene. If the wild type enhancer regulates the reporter gene on'\ a separate transgene than you have proven the concept of transvection.

This is what my teacher wrote back to the question about the experiment.

Sorry it took so long to get back, he takes his time to grade our work.
wrote...
11 years ago
Thanks so much for responding back! Appreciate it!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1252 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?