a
t
i
r
mightypulpo mightypulpo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to study for my exam and this is on the study guide......thx everyone!!

Which of the following mutations  potentially has the greatest  effect on gene expression?
A. a mutation in an intron
B. a mutation in the 3rd base position of one of the codons
C. a mutation in the promoter
D. a mutation in the 3'UTR
So you're thinking C, mutation to the promoter, NOT b?
Read 553 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
A mutation in the promoter will alter the initiation of the translation so impact the expression from that gene.

Introns are spliced out and a third base alteration in the codon will often code for the same or a similar amino acid because of the degeneracy of the code and code families of amino acids. The degenerate code refers to 64 codons exist for 20 amino acids therefore multiple codons result in the same amino acid. Amino acids, belonging to a single biosynthetic family, have codons that are contiguous in the genetic code so a third base change in an acid polar base will code for another acid polar base so the protein will retain function usually.

A change in the 3' untranslated sequence that follows the gene's reading frame stop codon on the mRNA will not change the genes expression.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1233 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352