Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
If you have:

F1 generation                 F2 Generation

W             W           |                W              w

w      Ww            Ww       |        W     WW            Ww

w      Ww            Ww       |         w      Ww             ww

W = White flower; w = purple flower

How can you tell which color flower is controlled by a dominant allele and a recessive allele? And how do you know?
Read 518 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I'd like to answer ur question.. But I dont understand it exactly.. What do ur diagrams mean? >>
W W | W w

w Ww Ww | W WW Ww

w Ww Ww | w Ww ww
??
wrote...
11 years ago
In this case you are only dealing with one trait, the color of the flower, so each offspring should contain one allele from the mother plant and one allele from the father, not both. You're punnett square is incorrect. A plant containing the Genotype WW would only be able to produce W alleles while a plant with the genotype Ww would be able to produce either W or w alleles. The first plant (the WW) will always supply a W allele (white) to the offspring, while the second parent could supply either. You're offspring will be 50% WW (white) and 50% Ww (white).

Parent one's alleles are vertical and parent two's are horizontal.
                   W      w      
        W      WW | Ww
        W      WW | Ww
wrote...
11 years ago
Traditionally, dominant alleles are written with a capital letter... like "W" while recessive alleles are written as lower case "w".  In fact, I always tell my students to use block letters for the dominant allele, and use lower case script for the recessive allele, so you don't confuse the size of the letters.

You can't tell dominant and recessive from the Punnett square itself.  It has to be interpreted.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1258 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?