j
s
d
J
askal askal
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I think I understand ionic bonds but I don't get the difference between non polar covalent and covalent. I would love some examples too! Thanks in advance.
Read 730 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Okay a polar bond is where two elements bond together but one is more electronegative than the other (electronegativity is the ability to draw electrons towards its nucleus from a double bond) for example carbon monoxide has a polar bond because oxygen is more electronegative than carbon and the electrons are closer to one side
non polar bonds are bonds where the electronegativity is the same for example carbon to carbon
ionic bonds are between metals and non metals and there is an electron actually transfered between the molecules
for example between sodium and fluorine the electron in the outermost shell of the sodium is taken by the fluorine, the sodium becomes positively charged and the fluorine becomes a negative charge, positive attracts the negative.
wrote...
12 years ago
Look at this way, in an ionic bond the electron(s) from the metal are transferred to the nonmetal.The nonmetal hogs the electron completely.  KCl

In a polar covalent bond the electron(s) cannot be completely transferred and they are shared unequally and the electron pair is closer to the more electronegative atom. A little hogging by the more electronegative atom. Thus one atom is more negative than the other and has a partial -charge while its partner has a partial +charge and you have two poles, a dipole: C-O, where the C is partially + and the oxygen partially negative.

In a nonpolar covalent bond the electron pair is shared equally. No hogging at all. No poles. C-C
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1476 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 608