a
t
i
r
rjcool123 rjcool123
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm learning about reproduction, DNA, cell division, blah blah blah, and I don't understand the difference between a chromosome and a chromatid. What is the difference?
Read 493 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
a chromatid is a copy of the chromosome when its reproducting. when the 2 chromosomes are joined together at the centromere, thats a chromatid. otherwise, it's called a chromosome when it's by itself and not reproducing.

if this helps, plz vote for best answer(:
wrote...
11 years ago
You know how a chromosome is X-shaped? It's more like a > and < combined to make an X if you can imagine that. A > is one chromatid (a bent-line shaped rod of genetic material), and a < is the other. They are combined in the middle to make the chromosome. The chromosome is the entire X...both the > and <.

If you didn't get my explanation with the > and <, it's just that >< looks like an X and its made up of a greater than sign and less than sign. .
wrote...
11 years ago
A chromatid is half of a chromosome. If you look at the structure of a chromosome it is two pieces connected by a centrosome. One piece of the chromosome is referred to as a chromatid. So during Mitosis or Meiosis when the chromosome splits the chromatids are what migrate to the opposite ends of the cell.   Wink Face
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1380 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?