a
t
i
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
11 months ago
I read the human spine finishes development after around age 18. Is that true? Is cartilage still being built up at that time?
Read 197 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 months ago
Hi CarbonRobot

As per this article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6995907):

Volumetric growth and ossification of the spine represent an exceptionally long and slow process that starts around the third month of intrauterine life and does not end until the second decade of life.

That confirms your statement. According to the article:

"Triradiate cartilage closes at 12 years of bone age in girls, and at 14 years of bone age in boys, the closure occurs during the ascending side"

"Triradiate cartilage closes one year after the onset of puberty, and at that point remaining sitting height is about 8 to 9 cm in both boys and girls"

The triradiate cartilage is a cartilaginous structure that is located at the junction of the three bones that make up the pelvis: the ilium, ischium, and pubis. It is not directly related to the spine, but it is important for the development and growth of the pelvis, which is a key component of the skeletal structure that supports the spine.

The spine is only poorly ossified at the early stages of life, hence I don't think it has to do with cartilage. I highly recommend on the following video in reference to bone growth... It may clear some doubts on how bones grow/elongate

CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
11 months ago
So cartilage between spinal bones might be completely by puberty?
wrote...
Educator
11 months ago Edited: 11 months ago, bio_man
In-between the individual vertebrae there are discs composed of fibrocartilage, but these don't impact growth. I found an interesting article that states:

Unlike other long bones of the skeleton, vertebral body epiphyses never ossify, and after the end of the growth period of life they are reduced into thin plates of hyaline cartilage which are situated between vertebral body and intervertebral disc.

I'm not sure what this means exactly, but it sort of goes against my initial thinking that the vertebra fully ossify by late teens. I wish I could read more into it, but I can't get the full copy.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8167393

Then, in this article we read the contrary:

* Epiphyseal closures are formed in adult humans.

* Growth plate cartilage, which is located at each end of the vertebral body, plays a pivotal role in promoting longitudinal spinal growth in humans and other mammals8, 10, 11, 12. The completion of longitudinal growth of human vertebral bodies, called epiphyseal closure, usually occurs between the ages of 18 and 25 years, and then the epiphyseal ring, comprising foci of calcification in the edges of end plates, is completely fused with the adjacent vertebral body in a process called epiphyseal union

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5938217/
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1245 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586